Quantcast

Silverton Colorado...

All of the photos from the may photo contest got me thinking about riding trips... after all of the trips, one from back in 03 keeps coming back to me. Silverton sticks in my mind as the most memorable spot to ride. Nothing but ride open spaces and the occasional quad or jeep driving by... great place. And since I can't sleep, I thought I would post a few shots from the trip...

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

redmountain.jpg

Quad at the time... Rincon 650

IMG_0240.JPG

Probably my first attempt at a ponorama

pano1.jpg

Probably my second attempt at a ponorama

silverton-pano-ptassembler.jpg

Those are great pics, I love the riding in Colorado. Let me know if you are ever back in Co.

I've been trying to get back there for a while. It's a trip I've been planning but unable to put together for the past 4 years. I only spent a day riding the last (and only) time I was there but next time around I'm planning (hoping) to get a cabin on Lake San Cristobal (map Alpine Loop National Back Country Byway - Maps & Directions ) and use that as a base camp for a few days or riding.

Yes Silverton is a beautiful place to ride....did you by chance go over the Million dollar higway and get to ouray colo? There they call it little switzerland...its so beautiful there.....Colorado is one of the best places to ride (i think).

I didn't make it out to Ouray :mad:. The trip was plagued with mechanical problems on the quad and my truck that limited the time I could spend riding. I've seen pictures of Ouray and "little Switzerland" fits. I would take it one further and call it Litter Zermatt. I wish I could have made it to Ouray to see it for myself. That's just more reason for me to try and go back... if I could coerce my friends into taking a road trip :skeptic:

I spent some time in Zermatt Switzerland back in 2004... both small towns tucked between massive mountain ranges with narrow passes:

Zermatt Switzerland from a few hundred feet up near the base of the Matterhorn:

CRW_6964.jpg

Photo of Ouray I found online:

Sept21-Ouray-380.jpg