Quantcast

‘02 TRX450S 4x4 with “ticking noise”

Breita

Hi Fellow Forum Members, yes I’m a Newbie (so be kind… lol).  Within the past 2 years I’ve started riding, acquiring and repairing Honda ATVs.  I’m “self teaching” how to repair them from YouTube.  I currently have 4 (three Foreman = ‘02-‘04 TRX400FW & TRX450FM 4x4 and one ‘98 Recon TRX250 2X4).  My question:  Is it normal for Hondas “to tick”?  All three Foremans have ticking sound… valves have been adjusted (compression improved but ticking persists).  Any suggestions as to other causes or fixes?  Video/audio of ‘04 TRX400FW is attached.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

How did you measure the valve clearance ?  If the valves get a bit of wear, or the rocker, they can have a bit of a dish where one part touches another, and if you try adjusting them with a feller gauge you get the wrong clearance.

You could try adjusting them with a dial gauge, or, use your ear..  A valve clearance of two thou, you can feel but barely hear click when you snap it down against the valve, it will be a muffled little click.. four thou you can feel and hear as a crisp click most vehicles..  Rough setting but people have been using it for ever..  It's a good idea if you have one, to use the dial gauge to start, and then check with your fingers and ears what it's like for future reference.

Thought to add..

Leaking head gasket or small exhaust leaks at the head can make a noise that might be taken for a click..  Also the cam chains can hit the sleeve and make a noise, and the pistons can make a click/tap if they've been overheated and got a black anodised scale on the skirt.. The piston though is a lot noisier when cold, so sort of easy to spot.

If you suspect it is a valve clearance you could try either tightening or loosening them and seeing it it changes. You could also try to locate the noise by putting a screwdriver handle to your ear and the tip on different places on the motor using it as a stethoscope.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By semicolon
      Hi and thank you for accepting me .  I am a crofter in the Scottish Highlands with a Honda TRX350D and a Yukon 150.  I need help with the fuel pump on the Honda so will be pestering you all soon,  

cheers, semicolon😀
    • By Its-always-something
      Have a 1998 AC 300 2x4, Just installed a new carburetor. Engine starts easy but the choke RPMs are very hi and take along time (5-10 mins when cold out). After engine has warmed up choke releases and it idles and runs fine., It does no have an electric choke. The choke lever is never used and it seems like an auto choke? Long story short, how can I lower the choke rpm levels?

Also, carb came with a spare145 jet, not 100% sure what is installed. Could this impact choke RPMs?

Any help and information greatly appreciated.
    • By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By gatorschevy
      If so, I have covid lol, in the past 3 months I have bought 6.
      04 Suzuki Quad runner 400
      86 Kawasaki bayou 185
      96 Polaris magnum 425
      95 Polaris trail blazer 250
      03 bombardier 175 rally
      92 Yamaha moto 4 350 
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.