Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2007 Honda Rancher TRX420FE7 gets stuck in gear after 20 minutes

Don983

My Honda Rancher TRX420 gets stuck in whatever gear I'm riding in after 20-30 minutes. It has an electronic shift.  It started several months ago but is getting more frequent.  If I turn the engine off, put it back in neutral, and restart it, the gears will shift properly for another 10 minutes or so.  Any ideas?

My first guess would be the electronic shift solenoid. You can check wiring/connectors. I would probably replace that as a test. You can get an aftermarket low cost one on amazonhttps://amzn.to/3SNvxW1

ATV Rincon Rancher MUV 700 PIONEER 700 Transmission Shift Solenoid

Next would be the shift control motor if not the solenoid.  When trying to shift, check for power. Also available on Amazon https://amzn.to/3Zm0CSZ

Power Shift Control Motor Compatible with 2007-2021 Honda TRX420 FourTrax

You should try to diagnose the problem before fitting parts. Since it fixes it for a bit by switching off and on again it sounds to me like it will be an electronic(PCM) problem, rather than a mechanical or electrical(wires, switches,,electric motor) problem

First thing is, is the dash flashing at you ? Whether it is or not you should try to retrieve any trouble codes, which you can do by counting the flashes if it is flashing, or by shorting a wire if the dash isn't flashing at you. You need to download and read the manual on how to do those things.

If there are no trouble codes either current or stored, then the next step is to inspect the clutch adjustment. After that it's back to the manual to carry out a systematic process to lead you to the problem.

• Like 1