Quantcast

Susuki LT230 Kick Starter Gear Postion

Go to solution Solved by Gwbarm,

• Solution

Not sure exactly on yours, the manual will be helpful, but on all the kickstarters I have worked on the pinion gear fits onto the crank generally the first 2 teeth go into that gear with the kicker all the way up, there is usually a half moon set of teeth on the pinion, it goes on the first couple of teeth and as you kick down you get to the end of the half moon and the kicker comes back up from the spring, i think that's what you are talking about. I may not have done a very good job of explaining it but you will see when you get the manual.

Show us a photo and we will tell you..  Some the gear winds along a spiral and into mesh as you kick, others are as Gw says, and some the quadrant parks up out of mesh, and some have a ratchet pawl that gets held out of mesh when they park..

If you tell me the year I'll look at a parts picture and probably suss it. If you've got a model designation with it's suffixes it would be good..

You're probably right..

Ok.. First thing is, do those gears have marks for aligning them to the shafts ? They might.

Anyway..   that gear 3 is going to turn anti-clockwise when the lever is kicked, and the big spring is going to return it clockwise till the stopper on part 10 hits it's stopper. With that shaft up against the stopper you need the gear 3 to be on shaft 1 so it's teeth are always going to be just engaged by a tooth or two, with gear 5. Gear 5 has to be on shaft 2 so when it's been returned by the big spring it's just engaged with gear 3's teeth by a tooth or two. The only other bit of trickyness is how much you should wind the big spring up by .. You need to put the spring into the shaft and then wind it up before putting part 10 on the shaft.. That might take a bit of trial and error.. It needs to be strong enough to lift the kick lever and hold it firmly up. but not run out of winds with another 3/4 turn..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By Charlesbrown
      I’m looking for a top end kit for a Yamaha. I would like to see how well the engine runs before spending $6-$7 hundred on oem. Niche has complete kits from $1-$2 hundred.  Anyone have experience with Niche or similar Chinese companies? 
    • By Tuzz
      Bucking started about a month ago and works ok after 1/2 hour warmup.  Today while working on it i discovered that if i put the ignition switch in LIGHT position it runs fine right from the start.
      I'm stumped!  Any idea why this could be?  

• By luckyyyyesther
      Hey all!
      I'm on a mission to buy my first UTV soundbar as a gift for my dad(a newbie on ATV). I'm aiming for something that offers great sound quality without breaking the bank – my budget is around $250. Right now, I'm considering options like ecoxgear, kemimoto, and boss.
      Does anyone have experience with these brands or specific models that you'd recommend? Any advice or suggestions would be super appreciated!

• By p5200
      I'm assuming, it's alright to test the engine after adjusting valves without the rear axle installed? Can someone please verify this? I'm waiting on axle parts and wanting to get that done while waiting. Thanks! 🙂