Quantcast

New to forum have Yamaha Kodiak

cj138

Hello, I'm new to the forum. My wife and I recently bought a 2006 Yamaha Kodiak from a friend. It has been taken good care of, he just sold his property and no longer had a need for it. The cover of the owners manual says Kodiak YFM45FAV. Am I correct that for information I am looking for Yamaha 450? 

Anyway, the main problem I have is that in the last couple days it has decided not to go into gear. It will make a grinding noise. Is there an easy way to diagnose this or do I need to take it to a repair shop?

Thanks for the help.

Hi. Yes you have a YFM450 and the specific model for parts or working in the service manual is the FAV.. You should be able to find a service manual in here that says it covers the FAV model..

The graunch into gear might be because the engine is idling too fast. That's pretty much the most common cause of it. It needs to be idling away at a nice slow pace. You should also check the clutch adjustment. There are two separate clutches in the quad, one is a centrifugal one and that locks up with revs to start the bike moving automatically. The other clutch is a plate clutch and it's operated by the same lever as shifts the gears. It's job is to stop gears crashing when we do gear changes at revs above the centrifugal clutch's lock up revs. The plate clutch needs adjusting from time to time.

• Like 1

Yeah it's often difficult to get the exact right manual, but generally a manual for a close model will do for most things. Sometimes the only difference is in the colour of the body work, or the carburetor, or the wiring because the other model has day-time running lights or no brake lights or some minor detail like that.

If you look up atv parts on Babbits parts, you can choose each of the different models for your year, and browse through the pictures in the first page each model presents, and look for the things that are different to your model.

https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_atv_2006/parts

• 2 months later...
On 6/15/2023 at 3:44 PM, cj138 said:

I tried looking for the FAV manual. All I see are FAT and FAR.

All you need to get the correct manual is the year and YFM450.  The FAV, FAT etc is only needed when ordering model specific parts such as the correct decals, body panels etc.  That is just the model designation differentiating between color etc.  A lot of times the year is not critical either if the model hasn't changed from year to year other than body color and options.

Edited by Caseknife

The cdi units and the stators change a lot Case and if you look at the wrong wiring diagram it will send you off on a wild goose chase, same with the carbs.. It's always a good idea to be absolutely sure what exact model you have when diagnosing things.

Checking the CDI wiring is a good way to check you do have the right model service manual.

Ha.. I know almost nothing about yamahas Kodiak.. I'm a rural mech and have worked on suzuki and honda mainly. I've been working on bikes though for fifty years. What I don't know I can generally research and figure out.

If there are any questions ask away. There are plenty of experienced yamaha  people watching on I'm sure.