Quantcast

2002 Kodiak 400 shifting issues

gbrsk8

Hey guys, 

New to the forum, but I recently bought a 2002 Yamaha Kodiak 400. It starts great and runs well, but the shifter doesn’t have any impact on the transmission. You can hear it clicking around as you shift through the gears but it is always in forward Lo. It tries to go into Park, but if you rev the engine a little it will still move forward in Lo. The shift linkage is all working and I took the cover off the side of the transmission and everything to that point is engaged and moving correctly.

Trying to decide if I have to split the case to do anymore diagnostics and if it’s really worth all the effort. 

Questions I have so far are:

Do I have to remove the engine entirely to start any of this work?

Will I have to split the case to access any of the shift forks or internal linkage?

Whats the probability that I can fix the issue even if I can diagnose the problem?

Thanks for your help!

I would avoid splitting the case at this point, i think that is a last resort, its kind of hard to diagnose with the gears out of the case,  we first have to decide what its not doing and why, you say you have the cover off and the gears are all rotating like they should, when you move the shift lever do they move to a different position or stay the same. I would also take a look at the belt drive to make sure that is all working as it should. I havent yet looked at a repair manual but i will take a look and see what i can come up with. They are nice quads ,definately worth fixing.

Thanks for the reply. I took off the shift rod and the cover where the the shifter linkage goes into the case on the left side of the engine. The position of this rod rotates around into 4 or 5 different positions and clicks into those places. Sometimes it’s more stubborn to move and I have to rock it to get it to change position. Other times it goes right through the gears. Regardless of it moving, it never changes from a forward moving feels like low range gear. No neutral, reverse, or park that I can distinguish. Sometimes it feels like its in neutral or park but if you hit the throttle it will still lurch forward. Have to imagine one of the shift levers or something is broken inside the case, but I’m not sure. 

Oh ok. I'm not familiar with yamaha but I think the cable is for reverse inhibit..  I have read about problems though with the spring inside the case where that cable goes , so perhaps try pulling on the cable and making sure it has spring tension. Long shot and I don't think it can cause your problems. I think that just causes problems getting reverse. Hi/lo should still work.

So another thing might be to drain the oil and check it for metal flakes or chunks or anything that would indicate broken parts. That might confirm broken bits, which is always nice before we pull things apart. But, regardless.. It does sound like it's time to strip the gearbox..

That would definately be a good thing to try. Before i pulled the engine and split the case i would pull the belt cover and the primary clutch housing off, it is a centrifical clutch but it works differently from the foot shift model. Those covers are not so much weather tight as they would have you believe, if it has ever been sunk you will probably have dirt and sand and junk causing the centrifical clutch not to work, but if its been not abused too bad it should be alright. Just take a look in there and see if everything is working correctly maybe clean up the balls that move into place as it spins, that needs doing anyway, and watch everything as it runs. May not help with the shifting but wouldnt and would be a good first step.

• 3 weeks later...

just out of curiosity, how is the shift linkage on the foot shifter? is it tight or is there any play in it? Mine was always hard to find or shift gears because the linkage from the foot shifter to the shaft was real sloppy. Once i put a hand shifter on it, it shifts perfectly. just my 2 cents worth.