YFZ450

swing arm noise

After hitting a double at my practice track friday i notice a loud noise coming from the carrier and it sounds like the chain is goin to pop off could it be the axle bearing may have gone bad?

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

Hmmmm,,,,,,Is everything tight?????

Not sure how the Carrier is in there......Is there Two Bolts on the Back side of the Swinger to Loosen to get the carrier out????....Is the Axle tight???? Is the Axle Bent???? Were there noises before or did the noises just suddenly happen??? When did you last lube your Bearings???

Seems to me that when the Bearings go bad it wont be just a Sudden "Noise" but rather a Gradual one....Do you see any Rubbing (metal to Metal)anywhere???? Any Cracks in the Swinger itself???

Post up some pictures.....

the noise started after i land a double at the track and the noise has been getting louder the axle isnt bent theres 4 allen head bolts you have to loose to tighten the chain up i tightened the chain up thinking that was the problem b/c it was loose but that wasnt it, i still think its the bearings, i have never greased them b/c theres no fittin to grease them with. theres no rubbing or cracksyou can hear it it coming from inside the housing

Sounds like the bearings, Jack the back off the ground and grab the wheels and try to rock them front to back to check for play. And spin them and see if you can hear or feel any raspyness coming from the carrier

i did lift the bike up and the axle doesnt move, when riding it you hear a loud sqeeking and sometime a cracking noise

OK if you can't turn the axle by hand then you have found it. Get it fixed QUICK before you ruin a clutch or worse!!!

Sounds like at least one bearing committed suicide, so you wanna get that apart right away! You don't want busted parts floating around in there- if it locks up, it could pitch you into or OVER the bars = NOT GOOD. Hopefully your chain is OK but you may need a new one as well [stretched] if you don't replace it it will ruin your sprockets, then you gotta buy the whole shebang all over again. Get the Manual! you'll need it. sorry about your luck! If you don't have a grease zerk on the swingarm [they are typically underneath on those] I have seen instructions on how/where to install one- a GOOD idea . I'll try and find that post for you.

Tear that puppy apart before it gets any worse. OK? let us know!!! inquiring minds want to know!

Edited by Raptor8
specifics/safety

I would follow Raptor8's suggestion to the "T". He is a retired Yamaha Mechanic. He knows his stuff!

Yep sounds like bearings I had to replace mine. I recall kinda the same noise. Mine were totally exploded. I had to buy a new housing.

So i still havnt looked into what is making the noise inside my swing arm but i was wonder are the axle bearing and seals in the carrier housing?

So i still havnt looked into what is making the noise inside my swing arm but i was wonder are the axle bearing and seals in the carrier housing?

Yes