BLUERIBBON COALITION, INC.

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
************************* 208-237-1008 ext 101
************************* Brian Hawthorne, BRC Public Lands Policy Director 
************************* (208) 237-1008 ext 102
********* Date: August 3, 2009

National OHV Group Supports GAO Recommendations on OHV use

POCATELLO, ID (August 3) - The BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC), a national OHV advocacy group, today said it generally supports the recommendations made in a report released by the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) regarding the increased use of off-highway vehicles (OHV) on federally-managed lands. The report was requested by Arizona Representative Raúl M. Grijalva, Chairman of the House Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands.

The purpose of the report was to examine the status of OHV use on federal lands managed by the 
Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and the Park Service and focused on fiscal year 2004 through fiscal year 2008. The report also examined the environmental, social, and safety impacts, strategic planning, actions taken by the agencies' field units in managing OHV use and current OHV management challenges.

"The report itself leaves much to be desired, but, by and large, we support its recommendations," said Greg Mumm, Executive Director of BRC. Mumm said BRC was one of several OHV groups involved as part of GAO's review. Mumm noted certain parts of the report are inconsistent and some parts are not accurate.* "This is an imperfect analysis, but it is far from the manifesto for closure anticipated by the anti-access lobby," Mumm observed.

The report makes four recommendations generally addressing identification of additional strategies, time frames for monitoring progress of OHV plan implementation, establishing performance measures and time frames for meeting goals, enhancing communication with the public about OHV trails and areas, and reviewing fine amounts across various U.S. district courts to establish consistency.

Brian Hawthorne, BRC's Public Lands Policy Director, also agreed with the recommendations, but said the study is an "unfortunate example of government agencies doing too much evaluating and not nearly enough actual management.* The conclusions and action items of this GAO report are remarkably similar to reviews completed by the Forest Service in 1985 and in 1996," noted Hawthorne.
The GAO report is available online at: U.S. GAO - Federal Lands: Enhanced Planning Could Assist Agencies in Managing Increased Use of Off-Highway Vehicles

# # #

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible recreation, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. It represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide. 1-800-258-3742. http://www.sharetrails.org

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Dwight Williams
      Ok, so I bought a 2006 bayou 250 for 200 bucks, kid couldn't start it and had no idea why it wouldn't run, I pulled the rope and felt what I thought was valve to piston contact, he wanted 500 and I talked him down to 200 and brought it home.  Sure enough, timing was way far out, timing chain incredibly loose.  So for fun I re-tensioned the timing chain and re timed it, got about 120lbs of compression, pretty low.  I cannot get the chain very tight but the the tensioner seems to work fine, the chain guides don't look very worn.  Also, when I took the head off the valves don't look bent and the piston has no discernible marks on it.  Is this an interference engine?  I sure thought I felt some contact with the pull rope but maybe no permanent damage was done?  Anyway, I plan on doing a full top end job as well as timing chain tensioners and hopefully that'll cure it.  Is there any reason other than chain stretch (I measured it and it's ok) or guide wear that would cause the chain to be so loose?  Thanks!

• By johncb
      My mother has a 05 John Deere 650 trail buck ext and someone told me that can am made the atv for JD. I was wondering what model can am it would be so I can find a service manual for it.
    • By mywifeknowseverythin
      I got this from another board.....
      A Great Big Thanks to COB
      From the ATVQuadSquad for this
      Most Excellent Find
      Thought this was a interesting article.
      Honda ATV History 101
      The 1960s: Prototyping the ATC
      If necessity was the mother of the first ATV, Honda engineer Osamu Takeuchi was its father. In 1967, American Honda asked Honda R&D Ltd. for a new product dealers could sell when motorcycle sales cooled off in the winter. Mr. Takeuchi was assigned to lead the project, along with a small group of Honda engineers. This was clearly the group for the job, since Takeuchi and company had been working to develop other new recreational vehicles that never saw production. These projects gave Takeuchi the tools to develop Honda's first ATV, the US90.
      Forget the proverbial blank sheet of paper. Takeuchi started in the shop with a head full of ideas and an eclectic assortment of components. Two-, three-, four-, five- and even six-wheeled configurations were examined, but the three-wheel concept delivered the best combination for the machine's intended mission. It dealt with snow, mud and assorted slippery conditions a two-wheeler couldn't, while providing more maneuverability than other configurations.
      In the early stages, a Honda ST™70 motorcycle gave up its 70cc four-stroke single-cylinder engine for the cause, along with assorted chassis parts. An extended rear axle carried cultivator wheels designed to handle rough terrain. Two driving wheels in the rear worked well. Cultivator tires didn't. The biggest challenge would be finding a tire capable of getting a grip on soft, changeable terrain such as snow, sand and mud. Two wheels, three wheels, four wheels or more? Motorcycle tires weren't an option.
      The design process quickened when American Honda sent Takeuchi an American invention called the Amphi-Cat& that rolled on six 20-inch low-pressure, high-flotation balloon tires. The light bulb went on. Revamping his ST70-based prototype to accept the new low-pressure rolling stock, he went to work on his own tire design, ending up with a 22-inch tire inflated to 2.2 psi. With the tire dilemma solved, the 70cc engine lacked the muscle necessary to push a full-sized rider through snow or mud. A 90cc engine running through a special dual-range four-speed gearbox added the requisite flexibility over varied terrain.
      continued...
    • By StolenATV
      Went to check on my UTV/Trailer to get it out for riding and it was not there, space was empty. They took the trailer and UTV both as it was sitting with the cover on it…
      The post STOLEN 2017 POLARIS GENERAL 4 1000 RED/GREY & 25ft CUSTOM SLAT TRAILER FROM PUBLIC STORAGE S. TYRON STREET IN CHARLOTTE, NC appeared first on Stolen 911.
      View the full article
    • By ATVNetwork
      ride Yamaha Celebrates 10 Years of Off-Road Volunteer Support
      Yamaha employees are not only avid off-road enthusiasts, but also have spent the last decade restoring the OHV trails they ride on. View the full article