Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

druzuki

03 eiger rear wheel bearings (left rear)

:confused:I tore up my left wheel bearings on straight axel eiger.Question = does anyone know which way they have to go in? can the axel shaft go in from the outsideof the swingarm tube or does the tube have to come off and put axel back from the inside and bolt the tube back together?

I would start by taking the wheel and hub off, you may be able to remove a circlip and pull the axle and bearings out from the outside. If that does not seem to be possible, then you might have to remove the entire axle housing from the rear diff and take it out from the inside. I would highly recommend buying a service manual or atleast consulting a dealer tech who can tell you for sure, how it needs to be done.

thanks, the wheel and axel came out when the bearing finally went,I ordered kits for both sides and when i did I asked the mechanic about it and he couldnt be sure (he is a new guy and not familiar with the eiger)it looks like you said but not sure i might have to take tube off to drive out the outer races.today i am taking axel to work to get hub off luckily im a machinist so I have acess to every thing I might need.the kit should be here tues so I just want to get a head start on it. Thanks I think your right about the circlip and how it goes in I will keep you posted.

update:axel tube has a snapring/circlip got it out holes were on the topside of tube outer races are in tube tight removed left axel tube, came off easy will take to work and bore out if I cant get them out.I need a new seal surface on hub but i can turn it down and shrink a sleeve on and tig weld that should save me on a hub.just have to get the other hub off left side took some heat to break nut loose. looks like it will be back rolling soon after bearings get here. other side should come apart like its supposed to I hope.thanks again for the help still havent got a shop manual too cheap to buy one besides like most guys i never get lost or read the insructions lol

No problem man, glad to hear you were able to get something figured out. It is nice to have those kinds of resources at your disposal isn't it?:yes:

Its back together now outer races came out but had to make a tool to drive out also quadboss bearings came with 2 seals suzuki only used 1 so while I had axel tube at work I bored out what I thought was a spacer behind the bearings and installed the extra seal on the inside of bearings probably not necessary but could help keep rear differential dry just wanted to pass that along gotta go time to ride thanks again

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Colin James Krepela
      So here's the deal people, I have an old Avenger 350 4X4 Shaft Driven ATV. They only made them in the early 80's their thought of as the first four wheelers from around back when Suzuki made one in 1982. I believe the engine on it is a Kohler as I watched this video https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=avenger+400+atv&view=detail&mid=1E10E939019CA07770031E10E939019CA0777003&FORM=VIRE but mine is a 350. That's if its original, and it all looks original. I am wondering where I can get parts for this engine, or really what engine is it. I have no way to find the year, unless you guys know where a serial number might be. Every sticker is worn off. IF anyone has any information at all on these old wheelers it would be greatly appreciated. I specifically need the gaskets for the carb, and don't tell me I could build them please I want to restore it as perfectly as I can. I can take pictures of the wheeler/carb if it'll help. Let me know.
    • By PolarisRich
      I thought I would make a quick "How-to" on setting wheel alignment since I was flipping my tie rod ends and I was going to have to re-align the wheels anyways.
      Here's some of the tools you will need...

1.) Start with the ATV on a smooth and level surface, like a cement garage floor or driveway.

2.)Center up (Eyeball It) the handle bars and lock them into place with 2 ratchet straps, one on each side of handle bars. This of course prevents them from moving when your adjusting the tie-rods.

3.) Place two Jack Stands approximately 2 feet in front of the atv even with the outside edge of the two front wheels.

4.) Wrap a length of string all the way around the ATV and Jack Stands, Start and end at the rear hitch. Make sure the string is the same height from the ground on all 4 wheels. I like to attach a few elastic bands to both ends of the string before attaching the string to the hitch. This makes it easier to adjust the strings when moving the Jack Stands.

4.) Break lose the inner and outer tie-rod nuts. NOTE! Make sure you use 2 wrenches, one on the nut and one on the ball joint. Damage can occur by only using one wrench.

5.) Adjust the string by moving the Jack Stands in or out untill the string just touches both of the side surfaces of the rear tires on each side of the ATV. This will take some time to get it right but it needs to be done!

Check manufacturers wheel alignment specifications on your specific make and model before you adjust any components.
      For this wheel alignment I'm using the Polaris Specs which seems to be a common setting.
      Polaris - The recommended toe alignment is 1/8″ to 1/4″ toe out. This is a total amount, not per wheel.
      6.) On the front rim, measure the distance from the string to the rim at the front and rear edges of the rim. The rear measurement should be 1/16″ - 1/8″ (.2 to .3 cm) more than the front measurement.

7.) If an adjustment is necessary, Turn the tie rod itself with a wrench or your hand in small increments. It doesn't take much to move the tire a long way, so go slow. Keep re-checking your measurement's until you have a 1/16″ - 1/8″ differance to the string.

6.) Once your satisfied that you have the correct "Toe Out" measurements you can tighten up the inner and outter tie-rod nuts on both sides. AGAIN...make sure to use 2 wrenches.
      7.) Now take your ATV for a test drive to test your adjustments. If it still pulls one way or the other, just repeat the above steps to tweek the adjustments again utill your happy.
      The whole process only takes about 15-20 min.
    • By Todd Barrett
      Hi all 
      I'm finding it rather difficult to find 10"x6" front rims. My question is will 12"x7" fit and will there be enough clarence when on full lock? 
    • By Steve Howard
      Ran find shut down the quad next day would start and idle when you try to accelerate it would start popping through the carb got a rebuild kit soaked it in chem clean after break down for 12 hours on slow vibrate reassembled and adjusted per manual still the same thing any help would be really appreciated thanks and happy ridding  
    • By Austin Rowedder
      Hi I have a 2007 Polaris outlaw 525 irs and am trying to replace the needle bearings in the rear a arms. I was wondering how you go about getting the rubber seal and bearing out!?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Alan Callison
      OK everybody,I need some help here please. My 4 wheeler has got a bad wheel bearing I discovered while starting a brake job. Its on the left side. I've never done one and I need some knowledge how to go about it. Am I to understand I need to pull the whole axle out to do it. I've done it once on a car about 30 years ago,lol. I keep looking around for a repair manual but they're hard to find without having to buy it. I looked here on this site but apparently Im too junior a member to be able to download one right now.Bummer!  One other question if I may.When I pulled the drum off the spindle a torrent of water poured out,the brake shoes were covered in mud along with everything else. I mean the drum had alot of water in it. The shoes were so locked up after I removed the springs I tried to rotate one of the shoes and it wasn't easy at all. I noticed whoever had the machine before myself had laid a bead of RTV around the back plate but apparently it didn't work. Isn't there some kind of gasket for this purpose. I saw it calls for a dust shield but surely this wont keep the brakes dry or will it. Thanks everybody.
    • By dirtybear00
      Hello guys. So I am having trouble navigating the forum here. I am looking for an exploded parts view or the service manual for a 2000-2004 Yamaha big bear 400 manual shift. Mine does NOT have a shift lever on front left fender . I took the rear end apart because it was stripped splines and now I can't remember where it all goes. (Seals, bearings, and torque specs. I have a new axle, used diff , need to install wheel bearings and brakes etc .  Really want to get this thing back together asap
    • By bodatiouskid
      Have an 03 Kodiak 450,& the rear seals are leaking.
      Can someone tell me how to take out axle & install Brgs.?
    • By bigbear91
      i had oil leaking into stator want to change the oil seals how do i remove the bearing to get to them
    • By bigmudder
      i had to put bearings in my 800 renegade and went with allballs is those good bearings or should i have went with something else.