Quantcast

question about a 2005 sportsman 90

gosch75

I have a sportsman 90 for my kids. There was a slight slip in the gear when i purchased it(when they ride together or there is more tension on it). I'm assuming this is the drive shaft and I've been debating on trying to fix this myself. Just curious if anyone has had this problem and how complicated it is to fix?

• 4 weeks later...

hello dirt demon.

The problem i'm having with the polaris 90 sportsman is that when starting from a stop or climbing a hill the chain sproket from the engine doesn't turn and there is a loud clank. I'm thinking that this would be a drive shaft issue. I've never had one torn apart before and don't think there are any belts? I could be wrong. I'm thinking that the drive shaft has been worn to cause the slipping?

There are belts and clutches, either one could likely be the culprit. There is a cover in the side of the motor with a guard on it, the guard is held on by two bolts. You should be able to see the bottom portion of the belt after you take off the guard. After take off the guard, then the cover behind it, you will see the drive belt assembly and the clutch assembly. I would check there first before looking into the drive box. I would highly recommend buying a repair manual, it will probably have all the info you need to figure out your problem, and it will definately have info needed to properly disassemble and reassemble the machine.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s

• By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By mga
      I have to replace all 4, how much is involved?  Will they slide out of the front yoke? Or, do the boots just slide over the wheel end?

• By huntindog
      I am in the process of puting it back together after replacing the DPS gearbox.
      The manual I have states that it will need to be flashed by a dealer. Is this still true?
      Also , I have a mystery bolt That I cannot remember where it goes. M6x 70 or so.  Hex head with a flat washer.I will try to attach a pic.
      Pic is no go for now....Cox issue I will try again later
      TIA
    • By brettautosworldwide
      Sportsman 570 Whatsapp : +33758980374
      Starting at $4,999 US MSRP.
      An additional logistics charge of $250 will apply.
      Plus delivery and installation charges.
      Whatsapp : +33758980374
      For inquires : [email protected]
      Instant chat Skype id : live:.cid.481378ea1a91ce4b

Ready from task to trail, Sportsman 570 offers a perfect blend of hard-working utility and gritty toughness.