Quantcast

I just traded my 400ex for an 04 predator tld. i was wondering how often i should change the oil and have the valves adjusted. it also has the front tire bent i was wondering what i could do to fix it? and what are some good cheap mods? i dont really want to change the sprockets.

thanks for your help in advance!

That all really depends on how you ride and in what conditions. I am really hard on my machine, and I typically check my valves after 15-20 hours of riding. You only need to adjust if they are out of spec. Remember, a little loose, not so bad, a little tight is really bad. My quad holds a bit more oil than most, so I can change my oil a little less frequently. Most machines that only hold a quart or so oil in the motor, I would change every 5-10 hours. High performance 4-stroke motors suffer from a high amount of fuel blow-by, which dilutes your oil rather quickly. Good starter mods are a high flow intake and a good exhuast system. Don't forget to re-jet when you mod. If you want to get into the motor, a good set of cams is the easiest thing to do IMO, and will provide decent gains. If you are on a budget, there is a pipe you can get at Rocky Mountain ATV, it is made by a company called Lexx. Under $200, and performs well, I had one, but I had some durability issues with it, a friend of mine got his about the same time and his is still fine. However, if you have the money, the Motoworks pipe is only $85 more, and probably worth the extra cash. If you want a cheap full system, I recently upgraded to a Team Alba full exhuaust, $350 shipped from ebay. I had a few issues getting the thing on, but for the price and the excellent performance, I won't complain.

Many pipes will come with a new main jet. If the one you get does not, just buy a jet kit or at least the next 5 larger main jet sizes. You just start really rich and work your way down until the machine runs at it's best and you have a nice brown color on your spark plug insulator. Google plug chop and jetting, then do some reading, you will learn alot

A manual is a must have for anyone who is going to be working on thier own machine. It will not be of much help as far as giving jetting info for modifications, but it will give you hints on how to read your plug. More importantly, if you ever need to do any work on the machine, it has all the specs and tolerances needed to assess your situation and get thing put back together properly.