Quantcast

Kazuma 50, Trying to get spark HELP

NateDiggity

I have a buddy who bought this bike, had his nephew put about 4 hours on it, then it sat outside for 2 years.

He gave me the bike, the rear brakes were rusted frozen. Got those free and ran the bike around a few laps around the yard and it died. It ran well when it was going.

I now have no spark. I thought it could be the stator as the stator and flywheel had some rust on them, so replaced the stator, and cleaned off the flywheel but I still have no spark.

I am leaning towards coil or cdi now. Rather than throw more money at it, is there a way to test the cdi output to the coil? The coil has a black/yellow wire and a green wire. Green seems to be ground throughout the bike so Im assuming the black wire from the cdi to the coil is the 'hot' wire... Does anyone know what kind of voltage this black/yellow wire is suppose to have when cranking? If I knew that I could tell if the cdi was working correctly and it was the coil faulty or vice versa....

Anyone have this information?

There is a direct resistance test that you can perform on the coil, if you get a repair manual, the test procedures and specs should be in there. Testing a CDI can be a crapshoot, they can be tested, but just because it tests good doesn't mean that it is good. On the other hand, if it does test bad, then it is most likely bad. I would just google CDI test and do some research on that. One other thing to check is the connection between the spark plug boot and coil wire, the boot should just unscrew from the wire, make sure there is good clean wire at the the end for the boot screw to connect to, if you need, you can clip a small amount of the rubber insulation back until you see good wire. Also, have you tried a new plug? What year is the machine?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By McG75
      1996 4x4 Timberwolf rearend width. Can someone with some knowledge of these machines answer this question for me please. Are all 4x4 timberwolves this narrow in the rearend? These tires are so close the right one actually rubs the muffler.  Thinking about seeing if there are any spacers out there for it. I need at least an inch more clearance. 

• By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By p5200
      The studs in the sprocket hub are stripped out. The hub is probably walloed out also. Probably will have to have a new sprocket hub. I doubt I have the ability nor the tools needed for this job. Thanks for all suggestions/opinions! 

20240225_155255.mp4   20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4 20240225_155255.mp4  
    • By p5200
      I'm assuming, it's alright to test the engine after adjusting valves without the rear axle installed? Can someone please verify this? I'm waiting on axle parts and wanting to get that done while waiting. Thanks! 🙂
    • By STLJ
      Hope everyone is having a great weekend,
      While riding my quad just quit, I mean dead. No life on the dash, no crank and obesity no start. 
      Had a quick look under the plastic, batt reading 12.7v power at the key switch.
      Changed the power pack, still no luck.
      Anyone else have similar problems?
      I don't see a fuse box/panel, is there fusible links in the system? If so where di I start looking?

SK