Quantcast

Check these first before replacing parts!- Any vehicle

First relax, take a deep breath, stand back and analyze the situation.

No crank (electric start)

Check to make sure the key is on

battery - chk for 12v @ batt, chk w/ load tester, chk acid/water levels

Fuses - chk wiring to fuses, chk fuse holder, fusible links, starter connection

wiring- MAKE SURE ALL grounds and connections are clean and tight

kick start/pull start - if it starts that way the motor isnt blown :) now narrow diag to starter circuit

Crank no start-

Bad gas - an atv sitting for a year isnt going to start right away nor run correctly. Remove old gas, clean filter and drain/clean carb

E-switch - make sure kill switch is on

Running issues -

wiring- make sure all connections are clean, tight (cable ties) and waterproofed

carb- if you dont know how to adjust your carb have someone do it as I found out there is an art to it. if it is a factory carb follow the service manual.

water - "runs like sh** after I went through 4 feet of water" - Ummm yeah

D/L a service manual for your atv. Most are free. Someone has to have one.

Everyone on QC has had a similar problem and maybe a solution, but what may sound like a ticking to you could sound like a rod knock to someone else.

We arent there so we dont know but I do know everyone on here is very helpful

Invest in a quality set of tools and KNOW HOW TO USE THEM! The tools that came with your atv arent quality tools. Start with the easiest things first. If you have 2 similar quads swap parts first.

Today I had a brand new boom piston that was bad from the factory. It cost me $3800. The factory swore I was doing something wrong but I went through their checklist and did some common sense checking before I called them. So now they are paying all shipping and restocking fees. This could of gotten ugly and expensive if I just started replacing everything else in that hydraulic circuit and assumed the brand new piston wasnt the problem.

Anyone else want to add some common things to check, please do as one person never has all the answers.

• 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Suzukiquad
      I have a 97 Yamaha Timberwolf and it is beyond loud, is there any good options to silence them or at least make them bare able to drive. I know it has a crack in the exhaust pipe, but even with that fixed its still loud. 
    • By Fish0rDie
      Well yall, it's been a while. Work has absolutely annihilated me for the past 5-6 months, and ive had bare minimum time to work on this project. Thank you to those that helped previously during the engine rebuild, but now were on to the task of wiring, and let me tell you besides the plugs on the wiring, I am almost completely lost. Bought an ebay harness, and none of the colors line up to what i have seen on any manuals. Its all the 97-01 electronics i believe. Ill post some pictures below of the mess I'm working with. Emphasis on "mess." A lot of the wires had to be extended since the harness was made for an atv and not a buggy. The colors are a little wonky, but I was using what I had, and they were mostly for just extending the plugs, so the colors match on either end. A buddy of mine has been helping me, and we are just at a loss. Looking for general guidance or any wire specific help you could give us. Not even sure if some of the single wires are plugged in right, and we dont have a "lever switch" wondering if thats just for the brake, because the master cylinder has two screws. I suppose a + and -... We also have what I believe are the reverse and neutral sensors to plug in (the only two sensors on the engine)
      P.S. peep the custom airbox i 3d printed to utilize a lawn mower filter and 2x2 coupling from lowes 
      If you need better pictures of anything, let me know, It's kind of hard to get pictures of this rats nest.
      Wires that are not connected to anything
      4th picture black wire
      5th picture blue wire w white stripe left/solid blue on right
      6th picture what I believe to be the lever switch from pictures I saw on ebay
      7th picture is two black wires coming out of the harness. One we have running back to a black with white stripe that comes out of a different place in the harness. The other that had an end to match the single wire coming from the handle bar switch. Single handle bar wire has a white stripe, so I may try to switch those around if the ends permit it.
      I know it just looks god awful, but i really do think we are close, and the idea is to figure out whats going where, then figure out how to make it look better, so bear with me haha. Any help is appreciated. Just finished a little go kart for my wife with a predator 212, and gosh do I envy that wiring (there is none😂)

• By Angstromm
      2005 Suzuki KingQuad 700 4X4 LT-A700X
      A bundle of wires taped together shorted and melted tape. After removing tape, the wires fell apart and there was no way to determine how wires connected. This is on the left side of the ATV (see attached pic).
      None of the wires run to ground. None test for volts with key on or when ATV is running.
      There are 4 wires that go into 3 wires.
      4 wires come in from above – yellow/green stripe, white/brown stripe, green, brown.
      3 wires are below – all are yellow w/o stripes & and bundled into chase with a blue & a green wire that pass through (see attached pic). The 3 yellows appear to come from generator.
      ATV only runs off battery now. There is no charge back to battery and ATV dies upon disconnecting battery (with RPMs up). All fuses are intact.
      It would appear that any wire can connect to the yellow wires, so no worries there. But the extra/4th upper wire needs to be connected or bundled with one of its mates and I have no idea which goes to which.
      Any help greatly appreciated.

• By alex_grach
      Hello all, can anybody share wiring diagram or pinout for CDI unit?
    • By westomatic
      I am trying to fix an issue with a quad. 4WD and DIFF-LOCK lights are always on and diff is stuck in 4wd mode with the diff-lock off. If someone had a wiring diagram that would be great. I did see a manual on this site for it but it doesn't let me download it as I am too new. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!