Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

95 Polaris 400 Overheating issues

Pcc4life

I HAVE A 95 POLARIS 400 BIG BOSS AND I OVERHETAE DTHE MOTOR ABOUT 750 MILES AGO AND SO I DID THE TOP END KIT NEW PISTON BORED ONE SIZE OVER 0.010 FROM STOCK SLOWLY BROKE MOTOR IN AND I ONLY USE THIS QUAD FOR HUNTING SO IT DOESN'T GET BEAT ON BUT I WAS OUT HUNTING SEP. LONG WEEKEND AND THE LAST DAY HUNTING I LEFT IT RUNNING AND CAME BACK AND IT WAS SMIKING LIKE A BANSHEE. THAT WAS THE LAST TIME I RODE IT TILL TWO WEEKS AGO AND WENT HUN TING AGAIN AND DTHE COMPRESSION DIDNT SEEM RIGHT AND WAS SMOKING A LOT THE OVER HEAT LIGHT DOESN'T WORK THE SECOND DAY HUNTING I VE BEEN DRIVING FOR ABOUT 4 HOURS THE ENGINE GAVE OUT ON ME THE PISTON MELTED ON THE EXHAUST SIDE AND I BLOW A HOLE INTO THE WATER JACKET ANY SUGGESTIONS i KNOW I WILL NEED TWO RE SLEEVE AND NEW TOP END KIT BUT I DONT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN AGAIN

Since you said about the water jacket I take it's water cooled. You need to get the cooling fixed & like swampcat said the temp gauge. Did water mix in the oil pull the dip stick and check for white spots. If you do have water in the oil you could have a head or head gasket problem and it will cause smokeing & over heating. If it looks good make sure the fan is working, thermostat is opening and letting the coolent circulate. Hope you get it fixed soon.

With water cooled I have had problems with air in the hoses preventing the coolant from circulating. To check this I make sure the hoses are warm to the touch and that the fan cycles on and off. If not, to "burp" it I elevate the quad on car ramps and run till warm with the radiator cap off and under no pressure. Also you may look into replacing the cap it is cheap insurance to make sure you are running under the correct operating pressure.