Quantcast

Got to ride!

Thats great! Any time spent riding is quality time.

I got a little riding in today too, just a couple hours of practice. It would be nice to have some people to ride with, but the neighbors were busy today.

How big a place do you ride on? Between our farms, and the neighbors farms, we have about 3,500 acres, but only about 50-60 miles of trails. We could have more trails, but between work and farming, we don't really get a chance to make more, have a hard enough time just keeping the ones we have cleaned.

Being as you are in Georgia, have you been to Durhamtown, in Union Point? I used to work there, a good long time ago. It was just about the most fun job I've had, always had plenty of people to ride with on the weekends.

If you ever need a little help with your Prairie, give Mike Penland a shout, he is up in Rabun Gap, and he is about the friendliest guy you could meet.

It's a small section of woods across from our house it might be 5 to 6 acres worth due to over growth where nobody's been riding in years a good friend told me he used to ride the same trails and where were riding is less than a 1/4 of what they used to be. But it makes a pretty good place without loading them up & hauling the quads. I have a few friends that we plan on getting togather and ride on about 50 acres that one of the guys knows the owner. I have never been to Durhamtown. The closes to me is Highland park and by what I have heard it's more for bikes and they have an onsite KTM shop & sells. That might be why it's more for the 2 wheelers. As far as my quad I pray I don't have anymore trouble I had to replace the frame rebuild the front diff & most recent I got a radiator for it after many months. I had let a neighbor ride it and after he came back I could smell antifreeze. I have heard of Mike.

5 acres, 500, or 5000, it sure sounds like a good time either way. Especially when you can ride with some buddies. Those Prairies are pretty stout, if you have yours running right, it should stay that way. I had a 650, and a 700, and they had some serious miles, with a whole lot of beating on them. The 650 even got a lot of motocross riding in. I sure love those Prairies. I think they look better than the Brute Force, and I feel they were the first of the "high performance" 4wd quads.

It is fun my daughter & a couple of her friends were riding to we all had a good time. By what I have read they were the first big bore v-twin quads. I gave 1,600 for my prairie about a year & 1/2 ago it has plenty of power and climbs like a mountain goat. Soon it will need a new set of tires or at least the back tires replaced. I would like to have fuel injection & power steering. I did ride a friends 2012 BF 750i and I fell in quad love. It was alot smoother riding my friend deals in quads all the time selling & trading he told me I could change my tires and get a smoother ride. It felt like it was easier to turn and it was non p.s. I know a irs quad is going to be smoother over the bumps than my old prairie and at my age and back problems that helps.

It does sound like a great time, and that is one heck of a nice price for a Prairie! But you are right, the new IRS machines are really comfy, and who would complain about power steering?

Pretty much, I am a Can-am guy, but all the different colors have some nice machines. Each manufacturer seems like their machine has a different quality that they are good at. But man they sure are proud of them when you go to buy a new one...

I like the Maxxis Bighorn tires, they seem to hold up real good for the type of riding I do, but I don't think they will make the ride any smoother on your quad. Maybe some of the other guys on here could chime in about tire selection.

I have super swamper vampires each lug that contacts the ground causes a shake of the bars and their bais ply. Can-am has made a big come back I remember their bikes on the race tracks when I was a kid. The cost is just to high for me to get a new quad. My truck was less then a new BF 750 and it's a 4x4 quad cab with ac/heat & power windows! LOL I just can't see spending that much money on a quad my buddy found a king quad 700 IRS 07 model for 2,800 and backed out the day he was to pick it up. That was a good deal to me the guy is moning out of state and needed to sell it.

Well, you might like a little less aggressive tire, the Bighorns are pretty stiff, but running a little less pressure in the tires might help that.

Where do you find these deals? $2,800 is an awesome price for a King quad! I like them pretty good, and I felt they rode pretty smooth.

I will have to agree with you, price-wise, Can-Am really is very proud of their product, but it is a damn good machine. I am lucky that I found a pretty good deal on my Outlander. But I have seen some near crazy prices for used ones.

You are right, for the price of a new quad, you can get a pretty decent 4wd pickup, or jeep, then you get the bonus of windows and heat. Of course you lose the "fun" factor.

All in all tho, it doesn't really matter what size or make of quad we ride, as long as we have a good time riding. I had more than my share of fun on a 250 Trailboss, and you could not believe the stupid things that can be done with a Diesel Polaris. :laugh: