Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Viking

1991 Yamaha YFM250 - Whats This Cable For?

There's an electrical cable connected to the front brake lever. The parts list calls it the front stop switch assembly. There is no stop switch on this side of the handle bars. Seems to be activated by the brake lever. Anybody know what it does?

Hey, not too sure, but is it the electric cable to the switch that activates the brake light? Just my .02 cents. I cant be positive without looking at the parts diagram, but its only what I can think of off the top of my head.

Ya thought of that too. If it is it doesn't work. Was thinking maybe bike won't start with park brake on? Going to go try that

check this link out and see if you can see it. this is for all canadian models '88 and up ...

just click 'launch the parts catalogue'

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.

Thanks for replying. Ya its there. In the handle switch and lever detail. Item 21. It also calls it the front stop switch assembly. I just don't understand its function.

seems like it would be for the brake light. maybe whatever it plugs into away from the lever is shot if it doesn't light up ... or a break in that wire? there would have to be a hot wire, one of the two i would think, unless it is livened up with whatever it plugs into ... do you have a voltage tester?

Ya I can test voltage. Maybe look at the rear light and see if it has a wire for brake. I kinda assumed it didn't have a brake light.

I bought this bike a couple of months ago and have been really happy with it. First ATV. Runs like a charm. Just finished doing the brakes front and back.

Really I'm just trying to get to know how it works so I'm a little more prepared if I do have trouble.

Yami makes a nice product and i hope you have years left on it, i'm sure you will ...

i know that brake lights didn't become manditory in ontario until the 2000's, but my 91 big bear has brake lights, so i'm sure thats what it is for.

Brake light makes sense but the tail light is a single filament. The socket is also single. No signs of it ever being changed. Tried tracing the wires but they get lost in a harness. I'll figure it out eventually. :aargh:

OK. its a start safety switch. Bike has to be in neutral OR brake applied to complete the starter circuit. In other words you can start the bike in gear but only if brake is applied.

Its shown in the '86-'89 moto manual OX provided.

Thanks for the help