Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

murph812

2006 Polaris Scrambler - Problem With Brakes

Ok so i have a 2006 polaris scrambler 500 4x4 with a front brake issue. When the quad isnt running the brake handle squeezes normal. When i start it and ride the brakes act funny, i pull the handle and there is no resistance in the brakes, but if i pull the handle again they work great until i go again then ive got to repeat the process. Any help would b great!!

I have another solution that a friend showed me. Check you bearings. When you are not moving the brakes work fine. Then as you ride the loose bearing allows the wheel to wobble and push the caliper apart. So the end result is that you have to pump the brakes a few times to get the pads back against the rotor.

I fixed the bearing on the wife's quad and now she has brakes again!

I have another solution that a friend showed me. Check you bearings. When you are not moving the brakes work fine. Then as you ride the loose bearing allows the wheel to wobble and push the caliper apart. So the end result is that you have to pump the brakes a few times to get the pads back against the rotor.

I fixed the bearing on the wife's quad and now she has brakes again!

Good work swampcat07, makes alot of sense ... :yes:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By JacobSlabach
      So my parents have not let me get my license yet and I need to get around to gets parts and stuff.  Answer: Yamaha CW50 scooter.  This is a 2-cycle self-mixing scooter that so far, I am really surprised with the power output and speed.  It reaches about 45mph since the speedo has been disconnected and has plenty of power for two riders.  Its stupid looking, but with some work and a title and plate, it'll take me around town..  My issue is this:  No key.  I bought it for $150 from a friend and he bought it from someone for $100 who wired in a switch in place of the ignition.  That guy got it form his neighbor who's renter left it behind.  The scooter will run with this switch on or off (kill switch on handlebar kills engine)  To get it tiled and a plate so its road worthy, I need to get the ignition working either by a replacement key or a new ignition.  All wires are cut to the ignition and the switch turned on the power to the signal light switch.  Also, the 2-cycle oil was leaking out the carb, through the air filter and onto the scooter.  also, it runs great, but its making blue smoke with throttle and the muffler is wet with oil.

(I have new signal lights for it btw)  So the issues I have with it summed up:
      No key (need new ignition) smokes burnt out headlight-  can I replace them with LEDs?
    • By Flipper Tiffany Roper Jones
      All I have been through everything. Bought brand new.
      Throttle safety switch 
      Cam and rockers
      ECM
      Carborator
      Stator
      Fuel safety switch 
      Battery
      Everything every forum has spoken of I've bought sealed airbox completely tight unplugged black wire on trans. I have literally done everything in the book.Checked oil today full of gas anyone no anything what might b wrong. Next I'm taking head off and making sure valves seat any ideas.
    • By thegipper
      Have replaced, Carb, fuel pump, CDI, plug, coil,fuel filter. Will crank but not srt. Getting spark and battery is fully charged 12.6V
      Any suggestions????

Thanks
    • By Larry Fox
      I have a 2017 1000s. Should I be worried that it will catch fire? 
    • By Larry Fox
      Looking for the wiring diagram of the gauge cluster. Thinking about using it on my 2008 that I just bought.. Its gauge is destroyed
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Steve Westby
      i have an issue with my brakes.it seems every time i ride through water or mud and then the brakes began to freeze up.I was wondering if anyone has total change the brake system from drum to disk or a different drum set up?
    • By Alan Callison
      I just got a 2004 Yamaha that needs some work.Its got wet brakes on the front that Im trying to get working.My problem is the brake lever.This the lever on it now.On the master cylinder it has a cable in it that has the wire that fits in a slot inside the lever itself but this lever isn't made for that.I dont know if whoever had it before didn't know what they were doing or what but its the wrong lever for this machine. Can someone point me in the right direction here? I looked at the Yamaha website and the schematics only show a part that looks like this one here. Again,I have a 2004 Yam 400 Kodiak 4x4 and its an automatic model. BTW,the master cyl. was bone dry. I was gonna change out the rear brake shoes and when I went to pull off the wheel,get this, each wheel stud had 2 different sized washers holding the lug nuts to the wheel rim. The stud holes were so worn out it had worn away the base of the studs and the holes were the size of  quarter! Im lucky someone didn't die while riding this! A word to the wise.Pay attention to what you buy.Look carefully and keep a keen eye out. This was my fault because it was the 1st ATV Id ever bought and I didnt notice alot on this machine so I guess I count myself lucky in that I didnt get hurt nor did anyone else who rode it either.
    • By Arctic Snowdog
      Hi Guys,
      I have a small Sled Dog business and I train up to 14 Huskies pulling a Yamaha Grizzly 550, that is quite a lot of Horse (Dog) power. Sometimes in order to make the ride smoother for Dogs and us we ride in Neutral but on a few occasions I have noticed that the right hand (front) brake seems to loose pressure and does not brake at all. Is there a particular reason for this ? Is it a fault or is it something to do with us riding in neutral, I only use the ATV in this way a few months a year before the snow comes but I am sure I recall the same thing happening last season.
      Any ideas would be greatly appreciated because I am a far way from being a mechanic.....
      Have a super day and thank you all.
      Craig
      Lapland

• By kingjosk12
      A week ago I could not even get close to starting it. But now I adjusted the valves (exhaust valve was not closed). i got it running but would not run without choke. i adjusted the float because it was to low tried starting it up again and it would not even start. So i went back and looked at the valves and the valve was now open again so i adjusted it and it started right up and ran perfect without choke. So i put it all back together thinking it was ready to go. Started it up and let it run for a little bit. i turned it off and tried starting it again there was NOTHING. took it apart and there was 0 compression and the exhaust valve was open again. I am completely lost need help PLEASE!!!:aargh: