Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

X250sxman

Did I destroy my rear carrier?

Was looking into reasons why my chain snapped on my '01 Scrambler 500 and was checking out the rear axle and found more front to back play on the rear axle than I ever want to see again.....

Got the axle out to check the bearings and I found that the right side (sprocket side) bearings were completely demolished, like there was nothing in there... I'm hoping this didn't destroy my rear carrier but since I have never once in my life replaced bearings I'm not sure really what I'm looking at (see pics below)... do I just need to replace the bearings/seals or is the rear carrier trashed?

[ATTACH]1399[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1400[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1401[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1402[/ATTACH]

57d77342dfa53_4wheeler008.jpg.8acc8b583ac6184c2dfcd17d18503d22.jpg

57d77342e2161_4wheeler010.jpg.f8046297d38bcebdcea0e7aa829ec02f.jpg

57d77342e5417_4wheeler013.jpg.3f6776b723b7fc4dbf14aa60439479b4.jpg

57d77342e86de_4wheeler015.jpg.8b341e0572f9b978c7d1387347e7992c.jpg

I would take the rear carrier totally apart and clean it real good that way you can make a bettet decision. If the races arent chewed up nor the axle you might be ok but you have to take measurements to be sure

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

As long as the races aren't destroyed you should be ok. I completely killed my bearings a couple times and had no damage to the carrier. The last round the play in my back axle was so bad the chain actually came off the sprocket. It didn't break it just came off.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04khpHiVDg]I broke my Quad - YouTube[/ame]

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• Similar Topics

• By Hodadical
      I've recently acquired a 1995 Kawasaki Lakota KEF300A1 that seems to have a pretty slack chain. I've found an owners manual that talks about the procedure to tighten it to spec, but it mentions "inserting a bar provided in the tool kit into the axle housing and turning it upwards/downwards"... the problem is I don't have the tool kit that came originally with the ATV. Its hard to tell from the picture (and not ever having done this before), but it looks as though this "bar" may just be a pry bar/leverage tool. Is that so and I could just use a screwdriver or anything that fits into the hole? or is this a specialty tool and do you know where I can find one?
      Thanks
      -Rob

• By Curtis01
      OK, sooo  I finally did the old skid plate and screen removal to clean out my oil sump during an oil change...  This bike only has a couple thousand miles on it.  Runs like a top still...  Very few issues over the years after buying it used.
      But boy I wasn't expecting to see this!  Piece of a circlip, stuck up in the screen, and a another shard of metal and maybe a piece of gasket material.  Nothing in the oil but that...  Pristine otherwise, and still runs like a top.  Always has.
      Soooo, is it a wrist pin clip?  That's the only thing I can think of like this that could end up in there.  But definitely wanted to throw it out to guys that have seen the innerds of these more than I have.
      The valves on this thing are still within the factory spec even.  Been a really good lil workhorse...
      Any other ideas?

• By renob4x4
      2 position adjustable
      Part number 2879887
      $125.00

Local NE Phoenix AZ cash sale only

• By JacobSlabach
      Hey just picked up another scrambler 850 was told the tps was bad.  This atv has been beet to hell.  Wiring has been tinkered with the crankcase has been replaced recently and the motor rebuilt (can see horizontal scores thru spark plug hole where it’s just been honed out and rebuilt)
      my guess is it was ragged out till the motor blew a rod and rebuilt but the clown that did it couldn’t get it to run again and sold it.  When I bought it it would pulse and smoke black at idle and die with throttle.
      New tps installed and it won’t run period.  I went to celebrate it and I’m getting 5 volts on 2 of the 3 wires running to the tps.  Is this normal and if so how should I celebrate it?

• By Airborne
      Hey guys been member for awhile and love this group ,kind of lost contact with social media ,i have been so busy working my property and just Racing the calender while winter is creeping in , i even slacked off Fly fishing this season , 
      As we know winter sets in and time becomes available lol, i have plenty of silly “ Quad stories to share as well as just missing the guys here great group , looking forward to winter break and tying some flys lol.