Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

adrenalnjunky

2000 Yamaha Big Bear 400 - Shifting Question

Hey there everyone.

Father in law picked up a used 2000 BB400 4x2 - motor runs well, no smoking. Little cold natured, but starts easy enough on full choke, and as it warms up you can back the choke off to a normal idle. Not uncommon for older carbed bikes/quads.

but - cold or hot, this thing is sometimes a real pain to get into reverse or 1st without rocking it back and forth a good bit. as it warms up, again it acts better,but doesn't get perfect.

When moving,it shifts up and down smoothly and accurately with no signs of clutch slipping.

Oil looks good and clean.

I see the clutch adjustment on the left side crankcase - but before I go screwing with anything, I'd like some other's opinions on what I might do to make the engagement easier.

thanks,

Chris

it's just the nature of the beast. auto's don't have that problem. most manual shift are like yours ...

you could try playing with the adjustment, but i don't it will help. the fork might be bent slightly is all ...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Alan Callison
      Hi ya'll. I just got a 04 Kodiak 400 and Im confused.The left rear wheel moves like the bearing is shot so I figured its a quick fix. Much to my dismay when I looked at it before I tore into it ,it appears to have a drum brake-no bearing on the wheel. As this is the first time Id be working on a 4 wheeler job Im a bit hesitant. The manual only shows this has disk brakes.Its a sealed drum right behind the wheel.I pulled the wheel of expecting to find a bearing.Nope! Ive never done it before but it appears Ill have to pull the axle out to replace the bearing. Am I correct and if I am can anyone give me some advice on how to do it.The repair manual isn't much help. Thanks alot!
    • By Chayse Hill
      I have a 2003 LTZ 400 that i bought a few days ago. The quad was running fine until last night. I let my brother ride it down the street and back and i didnt notice anything etong with bike. Then my neighbors friend came over and said "can i ride it?" I said "sure" so he ripped it down the road all fine and when he got back it died right in front of us. My brother said it was dieing on him also. He also said that he wasnt using the clutch to shift. I told him he was an idiot. Im throwing that in there incase that caused a problem as well. But today i go to check it to make sure its getting fuel which it is and replaced the spark plug incase it wasnt getting spark but it is. So i started it and it was having a problem starting then i got started and was reving at idle high. So i took it around the block and it died on me a little bit down, so i try to restart it and it started so i kicked it into 1st and it kinda launched on me and started going with the clutch all the way in. Then it died right after and wasnt running right during that process and was idleing all over the place and just died and now i cant get it started it again. Before it would start without the choke or priming it. It would start real quick now i cant figure if it needs to be rejetted or something else. Air filter looks clean also. But any help would be gratelly appreciated!