jondom

2004 Honda 400ex - Cam Help

On my 2004 400ex I bought a magnum stage 2 cam and pulled the cam flang off the stock one also i put a 440 kit new timing chain. the problem I am having is I cant get it to run. I have timed it with the book spec I Know the 400 ex timing is tricky but I have redone it 4 times. i even advaced it like you would in a pick up truck. 2 teeth still just back firing. None out of the carb. please any advice???

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

What was the reason for the cam change? Any noises before the tear down? Maybe your timing mark is off. Verify that the piston is at TDC. Stick a screwdriver in the sparkplug hole and make sure the piston is at tdc then check the timing mark. That way you also know your crank is timed too. Then make sure you have spark, no air leaks blah blah

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

The reason for the new cam cam was more power no misfuntion or noises just normal wear what originaly happen I demolished the piston rings jug. So I rebuilt it to a 440 so I figured why not put the stage 2 . I have done the tdc everytime I have retimed it just to double check crank position no air leaks all is new. Thank you for your help..

Just out of curiosity will it fire if you put a lil gas in the plug hole?

after 2 weeks of searching and troubleshooting i found someone on another forum. he was having the same issue he said withafter market cams you change the cam flange lick I did they have a spring and pin behind the clutch on the cam. mine does not have it so you have to remove the decomp system. Just food for thought thank you for your help.

Lol ya know that didnt even cross my mind to ask!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve1266
      I went out to ride my quad today. When I started it up it ran for a minute, then died. Since then it will turn over but won't start. I've check the spark plug and get great fire. I have had this quad for about 6 months, and very new to breaking it down. But need help. Thanks
    • By higdon87
      Need some help i have a 2001 400ex that smokes on start up and smokes even more when you give it throttle. I just noticed that it leaks oil at the header and motor connect. I just got it from a guy that said he rebuilt the top half and he told me that the valves needed to be adjusted. But what will make it leak? Thanks in advance
    • By NoviceNorseman
      Hi:
      I am looking for some help. I just bought a 2004 Can Am 400 quad that had sat for 2-3 years. I can start it if I spray some gas into the carb but it only runs a few seconds. I haven't been able to get it to continue. Any advice on what the problem might be and how I might follow it would be very much appreciated. It had about a quart of gas in the gas tank when I got it. I siphoned that out and put in new gas. This is my first quad so I'm quite new to this.
    • By tm37
      I just bought a Used Kodiak, that I will be using mainly for Ice fishing, and it ran fine at the guys house started right up and everything seemed fine.
      I Got home and Hopped on to take it off the trailer, i Pressed the brake and hit the button and it turned over, fired up and then dies. (it starts cold so I was not concerned.)
      When I hit the electric start again there was no noise or anything, Just the coolant indicator light illuminates when ever I hit the button. I cycled through the shifter (park, reverse neutral, and drive,.) and then hit the button again, with the same result.
      I noticed the park light does not illuminate, but the reverse and Neutral do.
      I tried starting it in Neutral, and again nothing it just illuminates the coolant light.
      SO am I doing something wrong?
      I finally put it in neutral and pushed it off the trailer, and started googling. I have not seen anything on this being a problem or even what it would indicate. Any help appreciated.
    • By bayoubill
      can anyone tell me if its ac or dc for sure? its a 4 stroke gy6 type engine.