Quantcast

2000 king quad 300 no start-found melted connector

I have a 2000 king quad 300 and had a no start problem that was preceded by intermittent instances of the bike shutting off then neutral light flickering when in neutral an then no neutral or reverse light followed by a no start condition and no lights when switched to that position. Upon investigating the regulator rectifier I found that its connector had been melted. The connector will have to be replaced and I think that it is safe to say that the regulator/rectifier is shot. Is there anything else that could have caused this connector to melt or could have also been damaged. I dont want to put a new regulator/rectifier on to have it immediately get cooked and remelt the wiring and connectors. I will try to upload a picture of the damage. I was unable to attach a pic here with the post but there is a picture in the "pictures" section of the forum. I downloaded the factory manual so I will see if I can test the generator for damage. The battery seems okay and will take a charge. Thanks to anyone that can help me determine if I have a problem with more than just the regulator/ rectifier.

Edited by dvdclarksn
have picture to go with post

you will have to put a new one on to save everything else. the regulator will maintain 12 volts, so i would say it broke down and probably just took that out, and maybe a fuse along the way ...

could have just fatigued itself ... smaell the other end of the connection, if its a burnt smell or cracked somewhere ...

I'm hoping that is all that it is but I was worried that it could have damaged something else due to the severity of the "meltdown". here is the link to the pic.:

00 suzuki king quad 300 burnt regulator/rectifier connector Picture » QUADCRAZY ATV Community

The fuse did not blow and another thing that was odd was that the when the switch was in the headlight position there was no current going to lo/hi dimmer switch from the ignition switch. When I took the switch off and tested it for continuity it tested okay. I also was perplexed as to why I had only about .5 volt at the auxiliary fuse on either side. The battery had over 12 volts when I tested it so I will check the continuity on that wire going to the battery next, I suppose. Are these related symptoms as well?

Yes I will definitely split and check/repair all wiring. It did look like a couple of the generator wires (there are three total) that may have made connection with one another on the main harness side. That concerned me. Could that have happened when I pull started the engine and had it running briefly?

Yes I will definitely split and check/repair all wiring. It did look like a couple of the generator wires (there are three total) that may have made connection with one another on the main harness side. That concerned me. Could that have happened when I pull started the engine and had it running briefly?

it probably could have happened at anytime ...