Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

The History of the Middle Finger

Well, now......here' s something I never knew before, and now

that I know it, I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent

friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified. Isn't history

more fun when you know something about it?

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating

victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all

captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be

impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would

be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was

made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow

was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major

upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the

defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew! Since 'pluck yew'

is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the

beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus

the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute! It is

also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the

longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TO THE FRENCH TODAY!

And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing. _,___

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Honda History 101

I got this from another board..... A Great Big Thanks to COB From the ATVQuadSquad for this Most Excellent Find Thought this was a interesting article. Honda ATV History 101 The 1960s: Prototyping the ATC If necessity was the mother of the first ATV, Honda engineer Osamu Takeuchi was its father. In 1967, American Honda asked Honda R&D Ltd. for a new product dealers could sell when motorcycle sales cooled off in the winter. Mr. Takeuchi was assigned to lead the project, along with a small group of Honda engineers. This was clearly the group for the job, since Takeuchi and company had been working to develop other new recreational vehicles that never saw production. These projects gave Takeuchi the tools to develop Honda's first ATV, the US90. Forget the proverbial blank sheet of paper. Takeuchi started in the shop with a head full of ideas and an eclectic assortment of components. Two-, three-, four-, five- and even six-wheeled configurations were examined, but the three-wheel concept delivered the best combination for the machine's intended mission. It dealt with snow, mud and assorted slippery conditions a two-wheeler couldn't, while providing more maneuverability than other configurations. In the early stages, a Honda ST™70 motorcycle gave up its 70cc four-stroke single-cylinder engine for the cause, along with assorted chassis parts. An extended rear axle carried cultivator wheels designed to handle rough terrain. Two driving wheels in the rear worked well. Cultivator tires didn't. The biggest challenge would be finding a tire capable of getting a grip on soft, changeable terrain such as snow, sand and mud. Two wheels, three wheels, four wheels or more? Motorcycle tires weren't an option. The design process quickened when American Honda sent Takeuchi an American invention called the Amphi-Cat& that rolled on six 20-inch low-pressure, high-flotation balloon tires. The light bulb went on. Revamping his ST70-based prototype to accept the new low-pressure rolling stock, he went to work on his own tire design, ending up with a 22-inch tire inflated to 2.2 psi. With the tire dilemma solved, the 70cc engine lacked the muscle necessary to push a full-sized rider through snow or mud. A 90cc engine running through a special dual-range four-speed gearbox added the requisite flexibility over varied terrain. continued...

By mywifeknowseverythin, in General ATV Discussion

• 9 replies
    • 87 Big Bear Middle Gear

I'm having a heck of a time trying to calculate the middle driven gear shim for my 87 Big Bear 350. I've followed the service manual and gotten all my numbers... but when I do the calculations, I always end up with a negative value... I'm so friggin frustrated!

As per the manual:

My numbers:
      d = 33
      f = +08
      c = 50.3
      e = ???

I couldn't even figure out what my crankcase said... looked like gibberish! However, even if I took a guess at e, my answer is still negative because d seams like such a low value compared to the manual.

By crazyquickdraw, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 2 replies
    • Kawasaki All-Terrain Vehicle History 1981-2008

View File Kawasaki All-Terrain Vehicle History 1981-2008 5851c45072d56_1981-2008ATVHISTORY.pdf Kawasaki All-Terrain Vehicle History 1981-2008 Submitter oxidized_black Submitted 12/14/2016 Category Kawasaki ATV  

By oxidized_black, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 0 replies
    • Family & friends

Had fun today my daughter & 2 friends of hers and I rode for about 4 hours or more today. I got my old Prairie muddy and my daughter didn't want to take her forman she got thru the mud so she wanted to swap quads with me. The bad part is I didn't mind getting her quad muddy. Then she said she didn't want to get hers stuck. lol

By hangingon, in General Talk - Anything Goes!

• 3 replies
    • John Deere and Tread Lightly! partner for a Friends giveaway!!

John Deere has rung in the new year right and has generously donated a new John Deere Marksman Jacket for our Dallas Safari Club Convention / Denver International Sportsmens Expo "Friend of Tread Lightly!" promotion!!! You know you want to win (again), so... Here's how this works: Sign up to be a "Friend" of Tread Lightly! between now and Sunday January 8th, either by stopping by either of our booths (Denver ISE - Youth Fair at the back, DSC - A4), scanning the QR code on the poster below, or going to our "Friend" page on the Tread Lightly! website Tread Lightly - Become a Friend of Tread Lightly! and signing up. By becoming our friend, you'll receive periodic emails about TL! and our efforts encourage responsible use and stewardship on public lands and waterways. On January 9th, we will announce the winner. Only those who sign up as Friends between now and the 8th are qualified. That's it, That's all. Thanks for your support

By TreadLightly, in Where To Ride Your ATV

• 0 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content