Quantcast

1987 Honda 250sx ATC

boutselis

Hello;

new here. I have not road for a very long time. I just purchased a 1987 honda 250sx and have been enjoying putting around on it. I have only owned it for a short time.

It seems to run good. it starts easy enough even though the choke does not work. takes about 4 or 5 kicks cold. then it goes right to a soft idol.

but I have noticed 2 problems.

When I have been riding and I stop and put it in neutral the rpm goes up pretty high. A little to high to pop it back into gear.

and if I take of in 1st without using the L1 it will bog down if I try to punch it. is this because you should always take off stating in the short L1 gear

or could there be any other problem.

I dont notice any smoke at all and it idols pretty soft so I didnt think the compression was low.

i would try cleaning the carb and putting a rebuild kit in or use some seaform in a few heavier than normal doses and see if it clears, you may have to adjust afterwards ... check to see if the throttle cable might be pulled or not in the proper location along the tank ...

is there an adjustable low jet on this thing?

Now that i think of it it kinda acts like my chainsaw does when the low jet is closed a little to much.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By Its-always-something
      Have a 1998 AC 300 2x4, Just installed a new carburetor. Engine starts easy but the choke RPMs are very hi and take along time (5-10 mins when cold out). After engine has warmed up choke releases and it idles and runs fine., It does no have an electric choke. The choke lever is never used and it seems like an auto choke? Long story short, how can I lower the choke rpm levels?

Also, carb came with a spare145 jet, not 100% sure what is installed. Could this impact choke RPMs?

Any help and information greatly appreciated.
    • By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.
    • By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.