Quantcast

Stripped something

I was putting in a new oil filter and i was putting the 3 nuts back on that hold the door thing for the filter one got tight but something stripper. Whether is was the bolt thing or the nut i dont know. Does any one know how to tell if it is the nut or the bolt because i filled it with oil and then checked them to make sure they were tight and it just was pretty free. It only leaks slowly right now. I dont want to take the nut off not and not be able to get it back on with a full oil tank. If there are any easy ways to tell please do tell me how

Where does this screw go again?

Chances are the threads on the nut stripped BUT there really is no way to tell unless you remove it. If its the nut just replace the nut with another one thats the same size. ( after cleaning the threads first. ) If its the stud ( thats the threaded part that the nut goes onto ) then it will depend on how the stud is installed into the case. If its threaded into the case it might take a little fiddling to get the stud out. I usually put 2 nuts on the stud & tighten them against each other, then back it out. If its stripped, that little trick might not work if there isnt enough undamaged threads. A pair of well placed vice grips will do the trick. Be careful not to snap the stud off in the case!! If it seems very tight you may need to apply some heat to it to get it to move. Carefully, it can be changed. Now....if its a pressed in stud with or without a head on the inside of the case, then you might have a pretty big problem on our hands. Good luck with it. Let us know what you find & well help yah along if needed.

Humm. This is the part where i get confused. It is a stud. And the nut goes onto it. Then the stud does into the case. However when i was looking up pictures of the oil door? For the filter i saw some that were with nuts and some that were with bolts. So that makes me think

The the stud screws into the case.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By BruceG
      Hi guys. I have a problem where the quad will start and run well for about 5 minutes and then it dies. On inspection the airbox has oil in it (quite a lot). The oil is pumping through the cylinder head breather hose. This problem first happened suddenly. I have since done the top end including, piston, gaskets, rings and valves. I have also done the carb (not that I thought that this was the problem). The compression seems normal. The only thing that I can think of, is that I did not grind the valves well enough. Anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? Any other thoughts?
    • By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      Just thought I'd start a new thread for newbies to the site!
      If you're new here, tell us who you are, where you're from and what you ride!!!
      Lets get to know each other a little better shall we?
      I'm not new to the site, obviously, but...
      I'm Kristin from Denver!!! I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. She's my muddy baby!!!!!! Several aftermarket parts on her. She's good to me! We try and ride every weekend. This weekend we're off to MOAB! :woot:
    • By Lafytafy
      should i run a thicker oil in a older quad because it make a little more noise than usual