Guest Winchester300

Honda 450 es voltage regulator

5 posts in this topic

I am having a problem with my 450 es shift, have been going thru the steps in the service manual checking battery, etc. Can anyone please do me a favor and connect a volt meter to your battery, turn on the lights and rev up your engine slowly, my symptoms point to a faulty voltage regulator/rectifier, when I rev my machine up my voltage slowly drops, the higher the rev the lower she goes. mabye triggering an ECM fault, my year machine does not show the fault, you can reset by turning the key off then on and rocking the machine and using the es to shift back to Neutral to restart. I also disconnected the speed sensor and found that the voltage at the Blue/Black wire to GND was 11.25 volts dc, 1 volt less than the battery was showing, according to the manual I should get battery voltage. I have also done a leak test on the battery, 1.5 mA, which is under the 5mA by the manual, disconnected the Voltage reg. and was the same, manaul then says (faulty regulator) not sure if this is my shift problem but would sure appreciate if anyone can confirm the requests above

Thanks so much

You're going to have variances with engine rpm on an atv. Most atvs I believe run 14.1-14.8 volts unless rpm is below the optimum rpm. With a draw it should not go below the battery voltage. It still could be a bad battery. You should have it load tested.

Bad battery cables do wierd things too, try doing a voltage drop test. I think you are right about the regulator however.

My 300 fourtrax had similar problem with (lights dim) Discovered bad wire coming out of (one) of the two fuses near battery. Wire appeared OK (outside) Inside was bad so you may have to use OHM meter to check out

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sloundez
      Does anyone out there know where I can get a functional pair of wheel cylinders for subject ATV? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks
    • By marcuslachance
      I bought a Honda 250sx 1986 but the exhaust is broken. Apparently it's not possible to order a new one. I checked to order one on others compagny but there's noting.
      Do you know which exhaust it's possible to install. Is there a company who sold an exaust to fit on my 250sx.
      Sorry for my english
      Thank you
    • By Npeters
      Im working on a old 1987 honda 125 4 wheeler in the school shop. It will start by getting pulled by another 4 wheeler but wont start with the pull start or Electric Start. When you pull start it it tries to start but when you try the electric start it just turns over but doesnt even act like it wants to start. The spark plug is dry and it shoots fuel out of the back(air filter side) of the carb. Weve had the carb off twice and it is complety clean. What are some things we can try?
    • By Wastedfun
      Hello everyone. My first post as a new owner to my first atv. I have a 2012 Kymco Maxxer 450i, which as I have found, is basically an Arctic Cat 450 xc.
      I just bought the atv and will be bringing it home from my cousins house, where i stored it after my first river test run, tomorrow. During my test run, I got it in about a foot to foot/half of water and got the belt soaked, and of course lost all power. I was able to fix it by popping off the cvt exhaust tube and revving the engine a bit, but this is a problem I need to fix...Before next weekend...I have a big river trip planned that will last the whole weekend.
      So, the AC/Kymco sucks in water...and for the life of me I cant seem to find a good video or guide on how to snorkel it. Am I to assume everyone just goes at it blind and just figures it out as they go? I dont want to pay $200 for someones pre-packaged pvc tubing, but it would be nice to find something that covers this topic.
      Tomorrow after work I will get a better idea of it once I have it in my garage. But I want to also know, do I have to snorkel the intake and exhaust vents? should I worry about the airbox as well? I actually have only seen the cvt exhaust vent so I dont know where the others are taking air from.
      I would love to see some examples of people snorkeling their AC/Kymco atvs so I can kind of plan where I should run my tubing. And I want to try and avoid cutting into my plastics...if possible.
      I also cant seem to find a replacement for the rubber hose that comes off the cvt, just encase I want to cut it and put it back to stock later to sell. Id like to see how much they cost first lol.
      Aside from this main questions, any tips or tricks I should know about this model before I spend the weekend putting it through hell? Should I run premium fuel?
      Yes, I am a noob to all this. I have ridden many ATVs, I have just never owned one. My cousin has like 7 or 8 of them so I have always been able to ride his. Now its time for me to learn lol.
      Thank you!

• By JenWal85
      Hope someone can help with this one.
      We took our 1984 Honda TRX 200 to the shop and they had it for about 2 weeks before they finally called and said that they had cleaned the carb and changed the battery and that it had started up.
      We went and got it and when we got home it would not start so we called them, they said bring it back in, so we did. They called us the next day and said they changed the spark plug, and that it was running. We went and got it again and it ran when we drove it off the truck.
      We parked it for about an hour because we were going to get ready to go on a ride. Well, it wouldnt start again.
      So we called them and they said the last thing they could do was order a new CDI box and put that on. I decided to just buy it myself, so I didnt have to pay them labor again. We put the new one on today and its still not starting.
      Does anyone have any ideas on what we could check to see what in the world is going on with this thing?
      Please and Thank you