Honda trx70 recoil starter

7 posts in this topic

I would be grateful if anyone could help me re the recoil starter for my Honda TRx70.

I am refurbishing a 1986 model - I am based in the UK and I am having trouble to find a new or used recoil starter.

Could anyone advise me if another models recoil starter would work - for example ATC110?? I am new to refurbishing and am still learning so any advice would be gratefully appreciated. I have trawled the interent looking for sites that would help and I am constantly on ebay but have had no luck!! I need one to start the engine as it doesnt have one.

Look forward to the advice.

The starter is an obsolete part, and cannot be found at a parts dealer, online or otherwise. Your best bet IMO is to search atv salvage yards online. The starter from a 110 is has a different part #, but they are also obsolete, so it really doesn't matter much if it did fit. The engine design hasn't changed much, so there is a chance that the recoil starter off of a '93 or newer TRX 90 may fit, but you may have to use the entire mechanism, including the innermost pulley. There is also the possibility that the electric starting system off a newer chinese atv could be adapted to your motor since most of those small chinese machines use engines that are literal copies of old Honda technology. Do your research and good luck.

Thanyou for the advise.Im begining to regret buying this quad.Its getting me down(falling at the first hurdle!)Its a lovely little quad though.My initial plan was to get an LT80 for my son Patrick but on reflection i thought it was too big and clumsey.The trx70 seemed a far better size. I have spent hours stripping paint and spraying new and put it all back together.It looks brand new.Its a shame we have no parts in the UK since its so expensive to buy parts from US ,shipping them over, in the hope that they will fit.Regards David

Sorry to hear things aren't working out. If you can get that little Honda off your hands without losing too much, the Suzuki LT 80 is an excellent machine. My younger brother had one when we were kids, it was always reliable and worked flawlessly for the years that we had it. It is a good bit larger than the Honda 70, but that also means your son would have room to grow on it. Parts are still available and the two stroke engine is much easier to work on.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Sandy10145
      Hi guys I'm new to the forums and I need some help to make a decision. I recently started riding quads a few months ago and have been riding a Yamaha blaster. I'm now deciding of getting a raptor 350, Honda 400ex, trx450, or yfz 450. At first I looked into the 350 but I wanted more power. Recently I looked into the yfz and read it has a smoother ride and something about adjusting the cylinders? Any information on what I should get, pros? Cons? Would all be extremely helpful.
    • By caperman
      Can anyone tell me a oil I could use in my 99 Honda 450 automatic instead of Honda brand.. I live about 60 miles from the dealer so gets expensive.  Thanks
    • By Snowden
      Hi everyone,
      I have a question, if the starter clutch gear looks fine but is still not working correctly then all I should need to replace is the one way bearing, right?
    • By Blue
      Hey all I have a question on my 94 fourtrax 4x4. The electric start won't work. When I hit the button I hear the solenoid clicking but nothing happening. I put on a new solenoid and same thing happened. So I took off starter and checked it, brushes looked good nothing looked out of the ordinary. My battery is putting out 11.2 volts. I wouldn't think that would be it since I put a newer battery in from my other quad and still got same results. Any ideas I'm scratching my head on this one.
    • By Pure_Michigan
      I bought this old three wheeler that I found in a barn. It looked pretty rough, but I have it running now and functioning.
      With the switch set to "run" and the key in the "on" position the electric starter does not work when I push the starter button,
      However, if I cross the solenoid it will work and it will start the engine - so I know the starter motor is good and it works.
      Now, it gets a little mysterious. When the engine is running, AND the headlight is on high beam, the electric starter will engage when the starter button is pushed.....When its already running! (when the headlight is off or on "low" the starter button does nothing, only when running and in high beam will you hear the starter motor zing when you push the starter button) So, I know the button actually works, but only after the engine is already running and the high beam is on!
      So to recap: with the key on, the starter button does nothing. crossing the solenoid will make the starter work, and after the engine is running the starter will work with the button!
      Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone point me in the right direction on solving this one?