owski77

2004 ltz400 dies when you give it gas.

9 posts in this topic

Ok guys I need some help . I have a 2004 ltz 400 that when you give it gas it dies . we have cleaned the air filter and made sure allt he jets are clean. it will run if u choke it . has anyone had this problem. I am thinking it may be a sensor or something ???????

Sounds like a fuel problem. When you choke it it restricts the air so you have enough fuel but when you give it gas and need that fuel it sounds like it is not getting it.

We have cleaned the air filter and have cleaned the carb and jets....... the fule filter is clean and so was the carb. that is why i think it may be a sensor.. but hell i dont know.

You might check for an air leak, usually when it runs better with the choke on, you have a lean condition. If the machine sat for a while, you may just need to clean the carb better, manually push things throught the jets and blow them out with compressed air. Also, remove the pilot screw and make sure the pilot circuit is clean. The only sensor on the carb is the throttle position sensor, and that used to match the timing curve to the throttle position.

Edited by DirtDemon

you should also check your float level. if it is set to low it will not alow for enough fuel in the carb for the carb to work properly.

Ok guys just got it back from the shop and they told me it was a asc sensor. they cut the wires to it and bypassed it and it runs good. a new sensor is $160.00 so wire pas it and go on........

Did they tell you what an ASC sensor is? I am curious to know what that is. Does it have anything to do with the reverse throttle override that limits the engine speed while it is in reverse? Does this mean that you have not throttle limiter when you are in reverse? Because that would be kind of cool, I have always been annoyed by the reverse throttle limiters that they put on quads that have reverse. The only ASC sensor I have ever heard of is in automobiles and it is part of the Active Stabilitly Conrol system which usually works on conjuntion with the brake system.

I didn't know they had a sensor in the intake system! I gotta call BS on that one- I'm headed for the parts catalog.

Otherwise it had to be an air, vacuum leak somewhere. Several guys were right.

Hey Demon: the 01 Raptor 660r does NOT have a reverse limiter... all the rest do. If you really want to flip you gotta try it in reverse! LOL

I didn't know they had a sensor in the intake system! I gotta call BS on that one- I'm headed for the parts catalog.

Otherwise it had to be an air, vacuum leak somewhere. Several guys were right.

Hey Demon: the 01 Raptor 660r does NOT have a reverse limiter... all the rest do. If you really want to flip you gotta try it in reverse! LOL

I'm in agreement with you, the only sensor that I know of it the TPS, and that only detects the throttle position for the purpose of optimizing the timing curve.

A bike without a reverse limiter sounds like fun to me:biggrin:.