Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Tivy

Yamaha Big Bear, Questions about Rubber boot for Drive shaft.

My boot on the drive shaft came off this weekend. When I tried to put it back on it appeared to be about 2" too large. Any explanations????

Also when the boot cam off, there was oil in the boot. Is this normal???

Thanks for your help.

jeez...did you get transmission fluid on it or something? That makes rubber expand like crazy. and it must have ripped to come off, correct? maybe it got stretched out when it ripped.

Busglinger, I did not get transmission fluid on the rubber unless that was what was inside the boot when it slipped off. As to know why or how it came off, I have not a clue. The rubber did not crack or bust. I did pressure wash the motor just before riding it the last time.

Since you mentioned the transmission fluid, if the boot is not suppose to have oil inside, then probably the transmission seal has gone bad and cause fluid to leak into the boot and that is how it got oil inside the boot. And possibly it is transmission fluid.

Thanks for your help.

Please, anyone else have any ideas, please advise.

Is there no one else that knows anything about this issues that can help me????????????????

Edited by Tivy

there is no tranny fluid in the bike, just atv motor oil .... what you saw in the boot was old grease that was packed in there ... the same grease for the front/rear axle shafts ... you can probably get a "split" boot to put back on to avoid dismantling the drive-shaft ... whatever route you go, it needs to be sealed

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• STOLEN ATV: Thanksgiving Weekend Bummer- Polaris RZR

Stolen around 5am ON VIDEO out of a hotel parking lot right off the trailer. Also stole a red generator. Very specific Red Polaris 570 RZR sports side by side with aftermarket accessories. All the dealers in the area are on the lookout so do not buy this!!! Police report was made. Reward is negotiable and questions need not be asked. We don’t live in Nashville and need information asap! The post Thanksgiving Weekend Bummer- Polaris RZR appeared first on Stolen 911. View the full article

By StolenATV, in Stolen ATVs

• 0 replies
    • KVF 300 Rear Final drive

Hi would like to know if the big ring gear is meant to be pressing hard up against the speedo gear. the bike had been rolled over so i was think that the roll has moved the bevel gear over a bit. one of the shim washers was pushed in to the bearing a bit and the break drum had been hitting the cover as well. but also the 2 lock nuts where lose there is that was well   Thanks

By NokNok, in General ATV Discussion

• 0 replies
    • 1998 Bayou 300 4x4 Rear Shaft Boot/Seal

Hi all,  I purchased this quad from Craigslist somewhat against my better judgement due to the fact that the driveshaft boot was leaking oil.  I am assuming it is just the seal that needs replacement.  Does anyone know the part numbers for the seal and boot?  I am also trying to get a hold of a service manual for this so I am not going in blind! Thanks for your help!  

By Achilles, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 15 replies
    • '06 Bruin 4x2 - broken drive shaft housing - options?

Hola from Costa Rica - I have an '06 Bruin 4x2, and yesterday the drive shaft housing broke, and I'm wondering if anyone's been through this before, and what are my options to repair it. The housing broke pretty cleanly, just before the differntial mounting plate, the big plate with the 4 bolts holding this part of the housing to the rear differential.  This caused the rear axle to pull away a little and drop the drive shaft connection.  Luckily I was going slow at the time and stopped ASAP to assess what happened. Since parts are hard to come by where I live, and 3-5x more expensive than in the US, I'm wondering if I can just have the housing welded back together.  This part of the housing looks to have been forged as one piece, and the break looks pretty clean.  I think I should be able to just re-engage the driveshaft to the differential, and weld the housing back together, probably with a little reinforcement around this section.  Apparently this part of the housing is not too heavy a gauge metal, but I think it should take a weld just fine without further damaging the housing. Any opinions, advice, suggestions, etc. welcomed! Pura vida, Ray

By Ray Moss, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 5 replies
    • 1990 Yamaha Big Bear Front Axle Boot Tools

Changing a boot on the front axle of my 1990 Yamaha Big Bear. Got any advise or know of any special tools to make it easier?

By Mongrel, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 1 reply
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Christopher Williams
      Hello all, 
      i just rebuilt the top end of a 99 Bear Tracker 250 and it can’t get it to hit off of gasoline or starter fluid. Occasionally it will backfire. Right now I’m just trying to get it to fire off without the carburetor like I’ve done a thousand times before with other engines. Usually there is no response, but occasionally I get a backfire through the intake. ISeems like it’s out of time, but I don’t see how that could be possible. 
      Here’s what I know:
      1. compression 120psi
      2. all timing marks are lined up after numerous revolutions. 
      3. Strong spark. 
      4. Valves adjusted correctly. 
      Thanks in advance.