Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

akbrewcrew

1998 Yamaha Big Bear - Starter Problem

my big bear is having starting problems. i have replaced the starter, solenoid, and battery. the electric start turns the starter motor but i still have to pull the pull start once to get it started while hitting the electric start like the starter motor isnt turning fast enough. could it be a faulty solenoid? maybe not pushing enough power to the starter motor? if so how much power should be coming out of the solenoid if i was to put a meter on it? any suggestions, ideas?

you might want to check the valve clearances ... could be too tight and too hard on the starter to turn if they are near closed all the time ...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By ddiggerr
      Hi
      Just picked up a BB for $650 as the PO just threw in the white towel. There is no spark with either the electric start or pull start. The stator is new, new battery, new key switch, new plug.
      I have gone over every wire and cleaned everything and checked all I could with multimeter.
      I'm stumped myself why I wouldn't get any spark with theh pull start.
      Could this be the pickup coil?
      wires coming out of stator are red and white, green and brown, and 3 yellow wires
      I get continuity from red and white but nothing from green and brown or the yellows
      Its a hair puller and hoping its just the pickup coil and not the cdi
      thanks
    • By Freezeman
      Well I came on here hoping to read a manual about the quad but found that I have to make some posts before that can happen, so here is one. 
      I work on peoples stuff. Had this well used unit come to me with a no start issue. I found it had fuel  and spark was good but it only had 30 pounds of compression. I put each cylinder to TDC and feed the plug hole with a small amount of air pressure and could hear the escaping air coming out the carb openings. I then checked the valves lash at TDC and found that booth cylinders had 0 lash for the intake valves. I reset the lash to .003 for all the intake valves and reapplied a small amount of air pressure and the leaking of air was gone. I then spent a few hours screwing all the parts I had to take off, back together and then drove it out of the shop.
      The lash was only 1/4- 1/2 a turn too tight that caused the valve to stay open just enough to make it not start. IMO the heads could use an overhaul some time soon as the valves and seats have become a bit warn.
      These ATV's just have too much crap stuffed into a small space, I wounder how many fasteners are used to hold 1 ATV together?
      Later, 
    • By Dan Tressler
      I have a 2018 Sportsman 570 SP Hunters Edition. I bought the quad new in August of 2018 and put around 20 miles on it with no issues. In early January of this year the quad was acting as if it had a bad battery even though it had been plugged into a tender. I checked the battery and it tested well so I took it to the dealership for warranty service. They had it for almost a month. They determined the quad had a bad EPS unit and swapped it out. Then they told me that the wire for the EPS needed to be updated as they could not program the new unit with the old wire. After the wire came in dealership told me they were still having troubles programming. After another week and a half they told me that they had consulted several times with engineers from Polaris and found a workaround and that the quad was ready for pickup. I contacted Polaris to inquire about the warranty being extended as it was in the shop for a month. They extended the 6 month factory warranty for an additional 3 months. I picked the quad up and the dealership said that the 2018 SP editions were known to have issue a with the EPS units but believed that they had fixed mine. I had it back for around a month and took it out a couple times for short rides and everything seemed fine. I parked it again for a few days and when I went to start it same issues (acting like the battery is no good and won’t start, when I jump start no power steering). Took it back to dealership and waiting to hear what the diagnosis is this time as well as their plan to fix this permanently. Just wondering if anyone else has had issues similar to mine or can give me some advice. Thanks in advance!
    • By Ajmboy
      With this cold snap, I noticed yesterday that the battery on my grizzly was a little weak. even clicked a few times before I got it to start. I'm thinking of picking up a batter tender/ trickle charger so was wondering what people use to keep their ATV battery charged up. I was looking at these on amazon. They both have good reviews.

or this one

Kind of like this one because if the accessory plug

• By Craig Newton Lawton
      Hi thanks for adding me on here, i bought a none running 110cc thundercat quad and i have spark, fuel, compression but it wont start anyone have any ideas as im stumped 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By mallen14
      Looking for anybody who can point me towards a free service manual for 1998 Big Bear 350. I found the sticky thread but all the links, from 2012, no longer work. If anybody has one please let me know. Thanks
    • By kingjosk12
      A week ago I could not even get close to starting it. But now I adjusted the valves (exhaust valve was not closed). i got it running but would not run without choke. i adjusted the float because it was to low tried starting it up again and it would not even start. So i went back and looked at the valves and the valve was now open again so i adjusted it and it started right up and ran perfect without choke. So i put it all back together thinking it was ready to go. Started it up and let it run for a little bit. i turned it off and tried starting it again there was NOTHING. took it apart and there was 0 compression and the exhaust valve was open again. I am completely lost need help PLEASE!!!:aargh:
    • By Barrysquad
      Somehow I lost all of my spark on my 350Big Bear, its a 1990. It ran well for maybe 3 days! Thought it was the carb. Cleaned it 4 times. It was losing power at midrange. Got worse and worse. Finally nothing!
      Are these good coils? I was thinking I could swap?
      2002 Honda-200cc: primary 0.4(ohm-200) secondary 9.0(ohm20k)
      1990 Yamaha-350cc: primary 0.8 secondary 11.0
    • By dboy910
      Ok new to group and new to quads. I picked up a 88 Big Bear for next to nothing but it has issues. The entire high low revers shifter has been removed. All I have is a bar attached to the linkage. I can shift into all three but I would like to replace or get suggestions. I have looked around but there is limited info or pictures on what I would need to buy or where it even mounts. Any pics of what where and how it works would be great. Or direct me to correct thread.
      Thanks