Quantcast

Do I need an 800?

uncleal

I have never owned a quad but would like to get one, I've been looking at used ones, and was thinking for what I would use it for (plowing snow, hauling wood around the yard, ice fishing) a 500 would be enough. A neighbor is selling his 07 800 with a snow plow to buy a newer one, and I'm thinking do I need an 800 or is it over kill. This one has 1200 miles on it, a 50in plow with a winch. Thanks for any help.

So depends on the price really and if its a good deal. An 800 would be nice and powerful but a 500 like you said, would probably be fine. I'm assuming its a Polaris Sportsman? It's always recommended to start with lower CC's if you never owned a quad, however I do know people that went straight to 600 and higher CC. So back to price because it sounds like its a neighbor who may give you a good deal and it comes with a plow. If I were you, I would ask him to take it for a ride to see how you like it. The 2007 should come with all your "bells and whistles". Always look at the value with comp sales for the same. You can use NADA http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/ATVs

Is it a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800? Because the value on that is just under the $4k although you are getting a plow. Then you need to look at the condition; plastic, undercarriage, oil, tires, etc. If he's modified it and messed with the EFI, might want to be careful.

Nada: http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2007/Polaris/SPORTSMAN-800-EFI-760cc/Values

I would look around at other deals for $4k. Look at Yamaha Grizzly and Suzuki King Quads around the same year.

I see you've asked twice if it's a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800, yes it is, sorry for not saying that it was. I'm not sure if I want an 800, having not driven a quad I don't have anything to compare it with. I do have 2 honda big red three wheelers, but I can't compare to those. I'll look around and see what else is available. thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

uncleal,  My two cents, It really does depend on what you are going to use it for.  If you are going to be in wide open spaces and don't have to worry about switch back turns on mountain trails or tight corners anywhere for that matter anything larger than a 500 would probably be fine.  I have a couple of Rancher 420's, they are not speed demons, I don't really use them for anything other than trail riding and we do ride double.  So far they seem to have plenty of power for what I use them for.  I do have a plow mounted on one of them and other than the plow tipping forward when I don't want it to, it seems to have plenty of power for that as well.  As far a price goes, both of mine are 2013's they both had an estimated 2500 - 3000 miles on them and I gave around $3800 for each of them.  One had new tires all the way around and one had new on front and I bought new for the rear then added a graphics kit to each of them along with a deep cleaning and repainting of wheels etc.  so all in all about $4000 each.  I bought one 2 years ago and the other one about a year ago so they are about 4 years old.  before I got these two I had a couple of older machines that I purchased, cleaned up and resold one a 98 kawasaki prairie and a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly I had fuel tank and line issues with both of them but they were in top running condition when I got rid of them.  So keep that in mind with a machine that is a little older that has that few of miles on them you never know how long they've been sitting.  Just some food for thought, FF

• Like 1

freedomflyer63, Thanks for the two cents, everything counts. Here in central michigan we don't have any mountains to worry about, it's mostly farm land. I would have to travel 100 miles to find any DNR trail systems to use, so we're limited to what land we own to ride on. I live close to Saginaw Bay and can ride to it to fish if I want too also. Snow plowing is also at the top of the list for uses. My neighbor across the road uses a yamaha 400 to clear his driveway, and I can't believe how much snow he can push with that quad. I probably don't need more than a 500 for what I want to do, but these 700's and 800's keep popping up, and when you compare prices to a new one, used doesn't sound bad. I did call a dealer here in michigan about a quad he had that was new, and included a "free" plow and winch, that was included in every quad he sold, and was quoted an out the door price of $2000.00 more than the advertised price. I'm still looking.

Well

I have plowed snow with almost every thing out there. I think you can not beat a snowblower. No Back and forth, It Piles it the best it can, No lawn damage & smaller to store in the garage. Just open the door and go......As far for the size I like the 700"s area. Enough power to do most jobs and not get in trouble. The 1000's are fast and can not stop quick, People get crazy with the power and speed. It is true the 500's are good for most but you can not add power to it later. We just bought a new sxs and a snowblower on the same day. The blower was just about as much as your blade for the machine. The winch is a must in my book along with front and rear bumper's. Plastic cost too much not to do it. I also have a trailer from polar that take up to 1200 pounds and I would not go without that with a ball mount on the hitch, no pin as it limits the flex.