Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

nwr161282

1988 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Issues

Evening folks

I have a 1988 bayou 220 quad that has a damaged stator and been lying about for a few years. Recently I got the chance of a 1996 bayou 220 that had also been sitting for a few years so I decided I would try and make 1 good bike out of the 2. The 96 frame was rotten so I decided to use my original 88. I swapped the magneto and stator over from the 96 bike but then noticed that the magneto and stator wiring was slightly different so I decided best thing to do would be to change the wiring loom over. Having done this I ran into issues connecting my original run stop switch and push button start. The 96 loon had a connector with 6 wires where as the 88 had a 4 wire connector and a 3 wire connector. I sorted this by making up a conversion harness using the 2 looms but still the push button start would not work. I have now solved this by using some of the spare wires left beside the ignition key connectors and a relay. So now I have the engine turning over with the starter button. But sadly I have no spark.

On checking the Cdi unit I have found that I have 6 wires going into the cdi unit but all the wiring diagrams I've seen only show 5 for the 96 model. The extra wire I have is a grey wire which has a loose unattached end beside the ignition switch. Does anyone know where this grey wire needs to be attached. 

Thank you to anyone who has read this sorry it's so long but wanted to try and give the full story.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By cfherrman
      Fixing for a friend. Atv was at a different friends house to be fixed and he rebuilt the carb and had it running nice, then it shut off and no more. He replaced the key and the coil.

So he got busy, so I am helping, I checked the wiring from the stator to the cdi, and from the cdi to the coil. All is good. I checked resistance on the pickup coil, good, and on the source coil, open. I buy a new stator (China) and the 4 prong plug only has 3 wires in it while mine has all 4. I checked resistance in the source coil and it's in the 300's. I pulled one of the old pickup wires out of the old stator and wire it in the new one. Still no spark.

Why do the wires differ, I checked the VIN again and it's "J" for the year and I got a 1988 stator. Please help!
    • By Aaron Wilson
      My 1996 Yamaha Kodiak 400 has a cracked CV Axle boot and the axle wiggles back and fourth if you pull on it. It also clunks if you go from forward to reverse fast with the tires turned hard one way or the other. Im thinking a new axle will solve the problem. Can you guys walk me through the steps of replacing the CV Axle, I have never done anything like this.
      Thanks
    • By Summer Warren
      Hey I just recently bought a 2002 Kawasaki Bayou 220 when you shift it jumps a lot and while it’s riding it it’s jumping as well but won’t stay started when you let off the gas Could somebody tell me what could possibly be the problem? Thank you
    • By Jason Hatton-Fearnley
      have a 1996 bayou 400  with a starting problem 

when checking sparkplug grounded to engine
      -turn key on, hit starter, get one spark then nothing
      -turn key off and back on hit starter, get one spark then nothing

Any ideas
    • By Arizona
      I have a couple other topics on this Bayou but this one is the reverse lever seal is leaking.
      Talked to the dealer and have no listing on the seal. Looks fairly simple but is the seal installed from
      the outside of crankcase or from the inside before I remove it.
      Next question where can I get the new part? I found these on ebay but not sure if they fit.
      any ideas where to buy it? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KLF220-88-02-Bayou-KLF250-03-10-Winderosa-822138-Engine-Oil-Seal-Kit/352356942519?fits=Year%3A1995|Model%3ABayou+220|Make%3AKawasaki&epid=209928936&hash=item520a1c42b7:g:ZKUAAOSwx6pYooaN:sc:USPSFirstClass!78006!US!-1

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Summer Warren
      Hey I just recently bought a 2002 Kawasaki Bayou 220 when you shift it jumps a lot and while it’s riding it it’s jumping as well but won’t stay started when you let off the gas Could somebody tell me what could possibly be the problem? Thank you
    • By Alan Callison
      OK ya'll.My son bought this thing and was told its a Kaw Bayou 300. Maybe. I cant find any numbers on it.The one tag I did find its so faded as to be unreadable. Its a long shot but maybe someone can help ID it. Thanks in advance.

• By Jason Hatton-Fearnley
      have a 1996 bayou 400  with a starting problem 

when checking sparkplug grounded to engine
      -turn key on, hit starter, get one spark then nothing
      -turn key off and back on hit starter, get one spark then nothing

Any ideas
    • By Arizona
      I recently bought a used 220 They said needs carb work, ran fine when parked (4 years ago)
      After looking at it. I have no power at ign. switch or coil, lights etc. Have power at starter relay which I can jump and it cranks
      but of course no spark. Is there a fuse I am missing? Found one under steering wheel, 2 wires connected to it which aren't there anymore. 
      Battery fully charged just no power anywhere that I can see. Need ideas where to start. 
    • By Curtiosity
      How do you remove the seat on a Kawasaki Bayou 220?