Quantcast

98 honda fourtrax 300 2x4 engine noise?

Hey guys, I just bought a 98 fourtrax that had an engine noise that was loud. I've had one of these quads before and it wasn't loud at all. The noise is coming from the engine, but I can't locate where. Ive replaced the timing chain, tensioner is working properly, replaced the top end, adjusted the valves properly, rebuilt the carb, lapped the valves, replaced the valve seats, checked the cam with a micrometer, but I haven't fixed the noise. The noise stays constant through all gears and all acceleration, nothing makes it worse or better. I've spent lots and lots of hours trying to fix this problem and have hit a dead end. Any suggestions or ideas to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!

No, can't locate where its coming from, when I replaced the timing chain I was very detail oriented when making sure the engine was at TDC, and I made sure the two marks on the timing chain sprocket were level with the cylinder head, just like the manual suggests, is there something else with the timing I could check? Thank toy for your response Josh

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Valves are probably good then, they would make a rattle sound if they were out of spec, I had a rod back off on my harley rattled like crazy.

Really the only thing on the left the would make noise is that pickup contact and the starter no disengaging.

If it's on the right could be something bent internally or clutch stuck open but I haven't really seen that myself.

If you decide to pull off the side cover a trick is to tip it on its side so you don't have to drain the oil. I usually lean it on something so it the gas doesn't pour out and the oil can't get in the combustion chamber. Make sure you pull the plug in case any oil does get in. When im done I usually crank it with the plug out to makes sure.

That works with left and right cases too!

On 7/15/2017 at 11:48 PM, Britton Carter said:

I think I need to let people hear it, outta so odd of a noise and again I dont know where to go from here

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can upload an audio file or video file if needed, as an attachment. 😁 You might be able to do it via your tapatalk app you are using.

It's definitely on the left side. What I would do is pull that left cover off and check the pickup coil. Sounds like my big bear last week after swapping one out. Can't use a feeler gauge on mine because the pickup and stator are mounted to the cover not case so i pit it on, ran it, had a very similar ticking, pulled it back off. Then loosened pickup screws pushed it back then reinstalled. She ran perfect all day mudding Saturday.

Everybody starts somewhere, first I would drain the gas from the tank and tip it on its side like said a few posts ago. Just find something to sort of lay it on when you do so it doesn't fully lay on its side but keeps the oil in (unless you want to change the oil, in that case just drain and don't tip it). 

In the next steps it's imperative that you take a lot of pictures to help out when you reassemble. Also take cardboard and draw the covers on it and poke holes where the screw are for a templet for the starter cover and left side cover. The bolts will be different lengths.

1. You have to pull your starter gear cover (the black one) forst and remove the starter gears that turn the flywheel. (Pictures!)

2. Remove the bolts that hold the left cover and as you pull it off it is magnetized so it will be tough. Along with that it's probably stuck on by the gasket and will require prying it off. Most  atv covers have tabs that you can pry against to pull it off if not pry against the starter mount. Try not to stick a screwdriver in there and pry on the gasket surface. As you pull it off be mindful that the shift shaft will come out when you pull the cover

3. The pickup coil is in the cover. Two screws hold it in but first inspect the metal tab that faces the flywheel. If it's nicked or scared by any means you can loosen the screw push it back and tighten or replace if really worn. Only move it a little.

4. While the cover is open inspect everything else in there.

5. Reassemble!

You will probably need a new gasket and it might be worth looking at a new stator and pickup since you are opening it up. But that's up to you.

Check the oil level before starting.

I hope this helps you out some!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Kawiherder
      It starts and runs Ok but after a while the temp gage lights up and the fan fails to start.  Any suggestions on where to start looking would be helpful.  Thanks
    • By Suzukiquad
      If you had to choose one mod that you couldn't live without, or had to recommend one what would it be? 
    • By Mikey69
      Heres my story. Kinda long. I guess I was a late bloomer when it comes to quads. I had never ridden a quad in my life. Rode Dirt Bikes as a kid growing up. Back in Oct of '06 I found a Mustang on craigslist. Took it for a test drive one morning before work. Fast car. 351 Cleveland. I had planned on meeting the guy again after work. For some strange reason thats still to this day beyond me, I stopped in Hillsboro MotoSports on the way home from work. I had 6 Grand on me. There was a left over '05 sitting by the front door. It was on sale for $4999. It was $5499 OTD. I didnt even look at anything else. I knew nothing about quads accept I thought it really looked coool and I had the money in my pocket to buy it. I was sitting on it when the salesman walked up and asked... "Can I help you?" Without hestitation I pulled 60 Ben Franklins outta my front pocket and said "I want this Quad. Load it up in my truck." It was just about dark by the time I drove away from the shop. BTW, I didnt bother to ask my ol lady if I could buy it. LOL. Anyway, I took it by the house and showed her. She was kinda stunned but not mad. We drove over to a friend of mines house and unloaded it. I took it to the field across the street from his house. HOLY CHIT!!!!! I was surprised by the power. I had it for about 2 weeks and took it to Sand Lake. I was there a few hours and rolled it on a banked turn at the top of the bowl right before you get to the one-ways. When it rolled, I flew off and landed on my belly. The quad came bouncing and landed on my back. For a month I couldnt even walk. I was scared of it. I considered trading it for a 250EX. Went back to the shop. The salesman said..."Dude!!! You dont want a 250EX!!! Trust me. Just get used to it" I still wasnt convinced. I put it on craigslist for $4000. Calls were coming in. I had a guy that wanted to come look at it that evening. I decided to take it for one last ride at Browns Camp before I sold it. I was still afraid of it. After about 5 minutes I started feeling comfortable on it again. I decided right then, I loved my Honda 450 and would learn how to ride it instead of selling it. That was late Nov of '06. Work was slow for a Painter in Oregon. My new job everyday? Going to Browns Camp and ridding my Quad. I bought my Girl Friend an '02 Blaster. I rode my 450 for 4-6 hours almost every single day for 3 months. And yes, I know my way around Browns Camp pretty well. LOL. In March I bought her an '06 TRX250EX (Thank God I didnt trade my 450 for one of those) LOL Since then, I have become totally addicted to quads. I love them. Couldnt imagine not owning at least one quad. Luckily I have two. My "07 was $6500 OTD in July of '07. Bought it for my Girlfriend. Traded in her 250 EX. A month later we broke up. So, I wound up with two Honda 450's.

• By p5200
      Hello, would this be a good Master Link tool for pressing master link plate back on? I've seen others made of aluminum but thought this one might hold up better. Thanks! 🙂 
      https://www.amazon.com/BARTOO-Motorcycle-Convenient-pressing-Alignment/dp/B0C4FB1V7D/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KRW04WLD82EI&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.4Y2_vOEctIVv0vgmajSYXL844RphCjGBrMsiewv7Z1sVIMYMM5OQNBL0cXeHLmUDsnKMO5JffQPEP8vl4xuxCUczEfKGgw4r-MYmLgCzydGm9sHnK8hX7o1AqXunVpgpR8RrfQ8noUmfLyoxTqUcrl9tj82jDWeB5CL1rifd--ufsiyaWkBl4omd_1qyx7a97BvOTogpK40NTm9BfKjSt2H5mXrjEnhEOcxSYxUHiRx61KbfDBaA8B9CvwQjM3qGIf4Ay1zWxxPURTnX5qjhddcAADez5JNCFVrUYeLE-7M.sFaeyu09Q7O8v9B0NPjaDYDuHqVqE4uyxspDEpxBs6U&dib_tag=se&keywords=chain+press+tool+for+polaris+500+scrambler&qid=1709916341&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sprefix=chain+press+tool+for+polaris+500+scrambler%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-3
    • By p5200
      I'm assuming, it's alright to test the engine after adjusting valves without the rear axle installed? Can someone please verify this? I'm waiting on axle parts and wanting to get that done while waiting. Thanks! 🙂