Quantcast

1999 Suzuki LT F 300 King Quad cold start issues

DSMITH

My wife and I purchased two quads to run around on our off grid property one is a 1988 4 wheel drive Quad Runner which starts and runs great the other is a Suzuki LT F 300 King Quad 1999 model the 99 we are having cold starting issues with so the reason I signed up on this forum,it will start eventually after several minuets of feathering the throttle or holding throttle wide open and the choke (en richer) button fully off once it does start and warms up it seems to run really good and the choke seems to work because when you engage the choke while the engine is running it will stall the engine with the choke engaged

it has good spark,new spark plug ,good compression,new carburetor,new battery

I have purchased a manual online for the specific years,I am leaning towards it needing the valves adjusted but really unsure 

also I am going to ask what is probably a stupid question to some on here but the way I was taught is the only stupid question is the one you do not ask so here goes the manual I purchased online for the 99 states that the valve clearances for the LT F 300 should be set at Intake-0.03-0.08mm (0.001-0.003 In) and the Exhaust valve set at 0.17-0.22 (0.007-0.009 In) are those settings correct  now for the stupid part of my question no where in the online manual that I purchased does it state which valve is the Intake and which is the Exhaust valve so if someone can answer that it would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks in advance for any and all replies and help it is greatly appreciated

Is that new carb or an aftermarket carb set to factory settings or does it have a different jet in it? Any modifications like an aftermarket exhaust? On cold start, the choke should be fully on and at operating temp fully off. If you have it off and  to start it by giving it more gas, I think you have a carb/choke adjustment issue.

1 hour ago, Ajmboy said:

Is that new carb or an aftermarket carb set to factory settings or does it have a different jet in it? Any modifications like an aftermarket exhaust? On cold start, the choke should be fully on and at operating temp fully off. If you have it off and  to start it by giving it more gas, I think you have a carb/choke adjustment issue.

it is a new carb not after market with the choke fully on it will not even cough I was going to adjust the valves to spec and then go from there if I can figure out which is the exhaust valve and which is intake

1 hour ago, Ajmboy said:

well I finally got this all figured out it ended up being a tight intake valve

I took a compression reading before doing any adjustments it had an 80 psi reading I then adjusted the valves well only one really the intake valve was tight and the exhaust valve was dead on so I only had to adjust the intake valve once I made the adjustment,checked and re checked just to make sure I had it rite she started rite up with out to much cranking what really amazes me is just how much a tight intake valve on these quads can affect the compression

compression reading before intake valve adjustment again was 80 psi after the intake valve adjustment 160 psi which puts it with in the specs it is supposed to be was not to bad of a job for a green horn 

A suggestion I would make to everyone and anyone if you are having issues like I stated check your valves especially the intake valve as it does have a huge effect on compression on these things

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, DSMITH said:

My wife and I purchased two quads to run around on our off grid property one is a 1988 4 wheel drive Quad Runner which starts and runs great the other is a Suzuki LT F 300 King Quad 1999 model the 99 we are having cold starting issues with so the reason I signed up on this forum,it will start eventually after several minuets of feathering the throttle or holding throttle wide open and the choke (en richer) button fully off once it does start and warms up it seems to run really good and the choke seems to work because when you engage the choke while the engine is running it will stall the engine with the choke engaged

it has good spark,new spark plug ,good compression,new carburetor,new battery

I have purchased a manual online for the specific years,I am leaning towards it needing the valves adjusted but really unsure 

also I am going to ask what is probably a stupid question to some on here but the way I was taught is the only stupid question is the one you do not ask so here goes the manual I purchased online for the 99 states that the valve clearances for the LT F 300 should be set at Intake-0.03-0.08mm (0.001-0.003 In) and the Exhaust valve set at 0.17-0.22 (0.007-0.009 In) are those settings correct  now for the stupid part of my question no where in the online manual that I purchased does it state which valve is the Intake and which is the Exhaust valve so if someone can answer that it would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks in advance for any and all replies and help it is greatly appreciated

I had this same issue on the same atv.  Went on ebay and got a Chinese cdi box for 40 buck.. dealer and TV SHOP howled...one year later.. still going.