Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jacob Blocker

Suzuki Eiger ATV smoking after new rings

I got an ATV from a guy that ran out of time rebuilding an eiger 400. He put a nerma Piston and rings in. I finished it up and it smoked like a train. I took the head off and honed the walls and it looked like the rings where on the walls, but it smokes just as much. I'm confused what's wrong with this thing.

What year is the suzuki eiger? Are you using the correct oil? From how you describe it, it sounds like oil is getting into the combustion chamber. How's the air filter look, is it oil soaked?

* Added ATV info to topic title and moved to Suzuki forum.

2 minutes ago, Ajmboy said:

What year is the suzuki eiger? Are you using the correct oil? From how you describe it, it sounds like oil is getting into the combustion chamber. How's the air filter look, is it oil soaked?

* Added ATV info to topic title and moved to Suzuki forum.

its a 2007 with like 4k miles. I did not have the filter on when testing it.

some smoking is normal for a break-in period but if you are getting excessive smoke it could be the wrong size piston/ rings setup, were the rings in the correct order? were the ring breaks alternated on the piston? hope this helps!

7 minutes ago, steve shugart said:

some smoking is normal for a break-in period but if you are getting excessive smoke it could be the wrong size piston/ rings setup, were the rings in the correct order? were the ring breaks alternated on the piston? hope this helps!

I didn't replace the Piston and rings so I'm not sure the sepcs or anything. I got new rings just to make sure there right and I'm replacing the valve seals also. I also got up sized rings if I need them.

dear sir did you check ring end gaps to make sure there was room for expansion .Also whats cylinder to Piston clearence?