Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Overheating

Hello everyone, a new member with my first ATV, a 2005 sportsman 800 EFI.  I got a good price on it because it had no brakes.  A new hand brake, cylinder for the rear brake, rebuild the front calipers and replace the rear has them working.  The machine runs great but overheats.  I hosed out the radiator and found a leak on the water pump, new gasket for that is on order as is a thermostat and sensor,  As long as I had to drain the system I figure I should do the thermostat and I think the sensor is the problem since the fan works fine if I put power to it directly and it doesn't seem to be starting until after the machine is hot.

Anything else I should be checking?  Any suggestions appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I know when I had my 2005 700 EFI, if it was using it for a long time in low gear pulling a yard drag it would over heat there was not enough air flow through the radiator to effectively cool it down .  I found on mine that the engine gets so hot that it would vapor lock the gas tank.  You could hear the gas boiling.  If you let it cool down it would run great again, I know a lot of guys were switching to a carisle fuel pump to and had a lot of success with that.  The exhaust pipe gets very hot also so i ended up wrapping it in header heat wrap all the way from the exhaust manifold to the tail pipe.

• Like 1

Thanks, I will keep that in mind if I am working it hard, I do plan to pull a good sized trailer with it.  But for now, with the new Thermostat and sensor the fan kicks in nicely and seems to be cooling fine.  Just to be extra sure the radiator fins were clean I used cleaner made for air conditioner exchange units and it did get out some more dirt, the radiator looks like new now.

It sounds like you fixed it awesome.  One thing to keep an eye on is if your right leg is getting really warm from the exhaust, the heat wrap really makes a huge difference.  Before I put it on if I was wearing shorts my leg would get red, after you couldn't feel any heat.  It's awesome stuff and really quite cheap.

Just ask if you need any other help, when I had mine I ended up replacing the Tbap wire harness, the hall effect speed sensor, cleaning the fuel sender unit, CV axles handle bars and a couple of other items.  One trick I did learn if you're replacing axles is to use a wood chisel to get between the axle hub and the differential housing it will pop the axle right out.  Those axles have a snap ring you need to collapse in order to remove them, the wood chisel trick saved me a ton of time. 

• Like 1

@BRoth82 Thanks for the offer of help but I am kind of hopeful to spend more time riding than working on the machine.  New brakes and cooling system work done, now I want to ride.  But since you offer, how do you set the idle?  It starts great but the idle is too low and it stalls after a minute or two even when the machine is nice and warm.