Quantcast

2005 Polaris Magnum 330 4x4 Need accessory install help

New to the forum and this is m first post. Picked up a ‘05 Magnum 330 4x4. Sweet deal 989 miles and babied. I’m not a mechanic by any stretch and have never done any wiring. But I am high n tinkering skills and know very basic hot/ground. I want to install a 12v socket with 5v usb accessory in a way it is not on all the time. My question: Is there a vacant plug under a fender or cab somewhere on my quad to just plug into or do I need to create my on connectors. Not much out there in the way of videos specific to my quad. I eventually will want to install a winch as well. Any budget minded help (videos, pictures, links, simple how to) would be appreciated. I’m low on technical jargon, so dumb it down if you could. ;) Thanks y’all.

• Ajmboy changed the title to 2005 Polaris Magnum 330 4x4 Need accessory install help

Welcome to QUADCRAZY! You would need to find a power source by the fuse box more than likely that goes off with key. I don't know if there is something available factory wise already for an accessory install. Maybe the manual would tell you.

Here's an install video on a Honda TRX300 to get an idea.

• Like 1

Thanks Moderator (nice hair - haha). Appreciate the video, but it was missing the info I need. He didn't show how he identified the wire he tapped into on the quad and how to match up the polarity on the new socket wires. Any insight on how to, as you said, "identify the power source" and which ones "go off the key"? Sorry, I'm new at this. Appreciate the help.

On 7/2/2018 at 7:56 AM, Yotebooter said:

New to the forum and this is m first post. Picked up a ‘05 Magnum 330 4x4. Sweet deal 989 miles and babied. I’m not a mechanic by any stretch and have never done any wiring. But I am high n tinkering skills and know very basic hot/ground. I want to install a 12v socket with 5v usb accessory in a way it is not on all the time. My question: Is there a vacant plug under a fender or cab somewhere on my quad to just plug into or do I need to create my on connectors. Not much out there in the way of videos specific to my quad. I eventually will want to install a winch as well. Any budget minded help (videos, pictures, links, simple how to) would be appreciated. I’m low on technical jargon, so dumb it down if you could. ;) Thanks y’all.

I looked up the  owners manual online  for your  quad , but I  found no  mention of an accessory  socket  in it. If  it  does have one  it would likely be fused for between  10  and 15 amps. You  could splice  your new  one into  the wires to  that  socket to  give   you  a second accessory socket  and  USB . That  would give you  the two  sockets  with  a combined  amp capacity of whatever  the  original  is  fused for.  If there is  no  accessory  socket  at all  I would suggest  wiring  one in  direct to the  battery , using14  gauge  wire  and  a  10  or  15  amp  inline  fuse.  To  make it  switchable on and off  is a little  more complicated .  You would  have to install a relay  capable of handling the  15  amp  draw  and  have  it switched  by  the  ignition switch.

Depending  on what you  want the  auxilliary  socket for ,  I  would  suggest  just  wiring in a socket  and fuse direct to  the  battery.  That  is the simplest  installation. You can  get adapters  to  give you a socket  and USB  port that  would  plug into  your installed socket, and  you  could  remove it when   the  USB  is  not  needed ,  or  if  you  want it  mainly  for the  USB,  then  just get a  USB  adapter that plugs into  the socket that you  can  remove when  the  quad is shut  down..  Many of the   USB  adapters  draw  a very small  current  when  plugged in even  when  no  accessory is drawing power  from them   so  over  a  period of a  few days  inactivity you  could see one  flatten the battery.

• Like 1