Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Dunnym

2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 Starter Engaging

I changed the starter and starter solenoid. Battery died so I bought a new battery.  Hooked up positive post first then I went to hook up negative wire and the atv tried to start. Key is not in the ignition and start switch is not being depressed. Anyone ever have this issue?  I was going to check solenoid with meter, but haven't had a chance yet. 

Edited by Dunnym

Sounds like you have wires incorrectly connected at the starter if it's automatically getting power to engage.

* Added issue to topic title.

I appreciate the reply, but it's really hard to cross a red and black wire when there is only one post to connect the positive cable to.   I've checked the solenoid and I'm getting 12v to both post with no key installed, so I will try a new solenoid. Thanks for the reply. 

I had purchased a new relay and that's when this problem happens. I checked it with my meter and had 12v to both post with no key installed. Bought another relay same problem.  Went to polaris and got one from them and it works like it's supposed to. Not sure how to close out a post. Thank you for your response. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Bryzan3
      Looking for advice on what to try next I bought this quad and it’s has spark and fuel but won’t stay running only fires when I hold the starter button in even when spraying gas into the carb it still dies right away oil was milky white so I was thinking it maybe went under water 150 psi compression so I might be wrong but not a head gasket I am stuck Cause it should stay running with the straight gas through the carb so what should I try 
    • By mjm4jc
      Hello everyone,
      My Suzuki LT185 didn't come with a battery from the factory (no electric start). I was wondering if I would need to add a battery if I wanted to install some of those light bars/pods or should I just wire it in to the headlight switch? Will the generator be able to put out enough juice to run the light bar? Also, is it normal for the headlight to get dim at idle, then brighter when driving? Never had a quad before with just a generator. 
      Thanks!
    • By Bryzan3
      Looking for advice on what to try next I bought this quad and it’s has spark and fuel but won’t stay running only fires when I hold the starter button in even when spraying gas into the carb it still dies right away oil was milky white so I was thinking it maybe went under water 150 psi compression so I might be wrong but not a head gasket I am stuck Cause it should stay running with the straight gas through the carb so what should I try 
    • By Thehick344
      I have a 2001 650 quest that ran great. Shut it off, wont start. Got tinkering at a buddies, it ended up in a snowbank. Lost my train of thought since then.  I have a black, red, green  top with two plug in wires yellow and yellow and red I believe.. I have a new battery. Just dunno what to do. I tried hooking the wire coming up to the solenoid on the far side, then directly across I put the positive cable and it instantly started turning over without the button being pressed until I took the cable off.  The little black resistor box has also been eliminated.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.. 
    • By Glen Hoerschgen
      Hey guys i have a 2002 yamaha wolverine that needs a new wire harness.  Does anyone have a clue where i can get one new or used. ive looked all over and cant find much on a 2002 model.  Any help will be greatly appreciated . thanks so much

• Similar Tagged Content

• By xXDaveXx
      https://www.amazon.com/Primary-1998-2005-Polaris-Sportsman-Braking/dp/B01G2EEUV2
      Anyone ever try these? $500 for a OEM clutch seems high, But $120 seems a little cheap to me. Has anyone tried one with good luck? 
    • By Ajmboy
      Disconnected the plow yesterday on my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and am getting ready to do some riding yesterday and the battery went weak, Starter cranked a few times but week. Put my trickle charger on that I bought and went to the garage today to start it up, but the starter is just spinning and not engaging. The solenoid is clicking. The pull start sucks and is hard to pull (never use it and need to look into that). Quick video of the starter spinning. Could it be the starter or  the starter clutch one-way bearing? I guess I need to take the cover off to see what's going on.

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Starter Spinning.mp4
    • By Guy Churchward
      I have a 2016 Yamaha Kodiak and find myself with a start issue.. I changed the battery so it’s not that.. here’s a video of me trying and then boost starting.. can anyone give me pointers as to a starter motor issue or fuse or wiring or whatever ?.. I find myself without a vehicle with a tow hitch for the 1st time in years so have a dead and stranded ATV to fix !
      thanks in advance, suggestions welcome
      Guy

IMG_5952.mp4  

• By Alois Specht
      Hi there , have a KAZUMA 500 JAGUAR the rear diff is permanently locked , how can I get it out of lock just about tried everything I think, ?? .  Thank you your help is appreciated.

• By Ryann Racho
      So Id say about 2 years back I bought a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. off of my uncle. It ran perfectly, nothing wrong at all. I usually go mudding with it or just ride trails with buddies. So as you would assume, the quad is quite dirty from sitting for a few weeks.

STUTTERING PROBLEM: I noticed one day out of nowhere that in high gear at 15-20 MPH, I was already maxed out at 4500-5000 RPM  It would get to 15-20 mph, max out on rpms and start sputtering. It sounded like it was basically acting like it couldn’t go any faster than this.

IDLING PROBLEM: I was fucking with the carberator the other day maybe thinking that is causing my sputtering, and now my idle will shoot up to 2600 on start usually, then I will turn the throttle adjustment down to the normal 1400. The rpms with then fluctuate 10-30 rpms back and forth repeatedly, it will then run for about another 30-60 seconds and the RPMs will slowly drop to about 900-1000 RPM and stall out. I replaced the carburetor and everything seems to be working perfect on that, no leaks and what not but it’s still acting strange. Also, I’ve noticed that when looking into the Electronic Throttle Control that two plates that aren’t supposed to touch have to be WAY past touching to even try to fire up. Even when set at a wide open throttle like that, I still have to give it some throttle to get it to fire up.

Here is what I have done so far: 
      Checked the belt and clutch
      Changed out spark plug (Last one was covered in carbon)
      Cleaned the intake and air box
      Replaced the carburetor
      Replaced the inline fuel filter
      Checked that all lines on carburetor are connected into the right spots
      Checked If intake boot was cracked (Not from what I can see)
      Unhooked and reattached new carburetor (About 4-5 times)
      Cleaned battery terminals and battery off
      Shut on and off Gas Line Cutoff Valve

My next thoughts are that maybe the TPS is fucked up or maybe the Spark Arrestor is plugged with mud. I was thinking tomorrow to purge the exhaust and also check the ohms output on the TPS.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. I HAVE BEEN BATTLING THIS FOR WEEK AND REALLY WANT TO GO RIDING. THANK YOU!