Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

redmastercraft

2013 Honda Rancher 420 loose hub

Any idea what would cause the cotter pin to break and the nut to back off?  The loose hub is wollored out so its trash and the axle splines show a little wear.   I'm going to replace the hub and I'm curious how much play is acceptable before I need to replace the axle?

Was that hub or axle ever replaced before? Sounds like it wasn't tight enough. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause this. 

That sounds a bit strange. Did you happen to buy the bike new? No way it should have been that way from the factory, but even they have an off day.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

It is a hand-me-down from my father in law.  He bought it new and uses it on his farm.  I thought it was strange too since both back tires are new and it should have been noticed when they were changed.  When I took the wheel off the hub nut was loose and the cotter pin was in three pieces laying in the wheel dust cap.  There was some rust on the axle splines so it was loose for a while.  To be safe I replaced the hub and it was still a bit looser than it should be so I have an axle on order.  

Sounds like we're alike. I can't stand things not being right on any of my stuff either. Hope it works out for you. Unfortunately many dealerships have a shortage of qualified people. Changing tires is considered simple so it probably got done by the least skilled guy there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yea they should have noticed that But the hubs are made softer from the factory so it's easier & cheaper than a axle.