Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Tim-ANC

2009 Polaris RZR 800 radiator steaming

Been wrenching on a 2009 RZR 800. Took it out a couple times and the overheat indication came on. Found the coolant low. Filled and same thing happen the next day. When I run it at idle, steam pours off the radiator and it smells like glycol. No visible coolant leakage when it sits overnight. I suspect the radiator has several pin holes that retain liquid but leak when the coolant is vaporized. Can anyone else have experience with this?

Hey @Tim-ANC , with no leaks I would be concerned that the coolant is going into the combustion chamber. Is it smoking, white smoke? Check the water pump and make sure nothing is leaking.

Topic moved to Polaris UTV forum

Thanks AJM. Last week it overheated, steamed up and bypassed blowing coolant everywhere. Filled it up again today and did the air purge per the manual. No white smoke. I think it was low before. Will monitor. Still get steam off the radiator after it idles for awhile.

Radiator fan was not turning on. I did the test per the manual. While running, disconnect wire connector from the temp sensor near the thermostat. Fan is supposed to default to on. Mine didn't. Found the fan relay lose in the fuse box. Works great now.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Johnnyhorsepower
      I finally found an awsome app for your phone that shows you on a map all the trails near your location. You can read or add reviews, look at picts...etc
      Its called: atv escape

John
    • By Adrian Ciotinga
      Hello,
      I recently picked up an ‘07 KFX 700. All was going well, rode it about 40 miles, when it started bogging at low speeds. If I kept the revs higher, I was just fine. Also, a persistent issue since I picked it up is the fairly difficult start (but it is abnormally cold right now and the quad is jetted for the dunes at summertime).
      Regarding the complete lack of idle, I have to rev it a couple times to get it to idle after starting it, after which it’s 50/50 whether it remains idling. I don’t have low fuel, but all of this began after I rode it pretty hard and the radiator fan kicked in. Might be overheating, just wanted to hear your opinions.
    • By cfauvel
      ok help so according the service manual, Idle Air Mix Screw (aka Pilot screw) should be initially set to 2.5 turns out from fully seated.

If I do that the motor doesn't want to start or stay running...right now the pilot screw is probably somewhere near 5 turns out....I'll take the carb off tomorrow to count to know for sure.

mind you the carb got a new float seat,float needle and various other components in the kit.

To get the motor running I hard to turn the pilot screw out quite a bit, and turned the idle speed screw in quite a bit...I didn't hook up an inductive tach to know what it is idling at, but does sound about right.

What should the idle speed adjustment screw initially be set at (the one that has the black cable sheath with a knob you can twist easily)?

Is there a special tool to turn the idle/pilot mix screw whilst the carb is on the running motor? I am using a slotted screw driver bit (normally goes into a driver) by hand..makes it hard to turn the driver and hard to tell how many turns .
    • By BrotherRockeye
      The engine oil dipstick on my 550XP took a dump and the bottom 1/3 was missing. Apparently it's a common occurrence from the bit of reading I've done on it. Anyway I'm not gonna replace it just to have it happen again so I cut the rest of it off and ground it flat to use as a plug.
      So now with no dipstick to check oil level I have some choices.
      -Buy another dipstick to use as a dipstick...NOT
      -Do an oil change and build a depth checker from the new full level
      -ask the good people on QuadCrazy! Any one with a like year 550XP wanna measure their dipstick from the base to the end so I can make an oil level check stick?
      Thanks folks!
    • By flyinbrian365
      View File 2009 Polaris Ranger 500 2X4 Service Manual
      2009 Polaris Ranger 500 2X4 UTV 992204 Full service manual
      Submitter flyinbrian365 Submitted 12/17/2019 Category Polaris UTV  
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By ATVNetwork
      Get ready! We're bringing the world‑renowned Nitro Circus to the Glamis dunes for not one, but three exclusive boundary‑breaking shows!   This is a Camp RZR you don't want to miss.   By pre‑registering, you get reserved access to the show and are automatically entered to win one of the Grand Prize Giveaways!   Pre‑registering will get you on the list, but be advised that the first 100 people to check-in at Camp RZR Friday, October 25th will get closest to the action with premium viewing for the Saturday night show.   Learn More   Register Now     RZR Vehicles Shop Accessories Shop Apparel Explore All Off-Road Vehicles                  
    • By Larry Fox
      I have a 2017 1000s. Should I be worried that it will catch fire? 
    • By Sheila Hillis
      2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 HO EFI. Has anyone ever tried to move a radiator back to its original spot from a relocated spot.
      I cant seem to get the radiator seated correctly. Any thoughts?
    • By flyinbrian365
      View File 2016 Polaris Ranger RZR XP Turbo Service Manual
      2016 Polaris Ranger RZR XP Turbo Service Manual
      Submitter flyinbrian365 Submitted 04/03/2019 Category Polaris UTV  
    • By flyinbrian365
      2016 Polaris Ranger RZR XP Turbo Service Manual