Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

gt2003

Sheared bolt...what to do?

2004 Kawasaki Bayou 250.  Changed the differential fluid and was reinstalling the "fill bolt"  (bolt than comes out to let the excess fluid drain) with the 10mm head and it snapped off.  It's not too deep but it is a small bolt.  Suggestions needed on how to address.  I was considering bolt extractor bits but it's such a small bolt I'm not sure that's a smart call.  Thanks

Edited by gt2003

Save 5% on ATV/UTV Parts, Accessories & More at GearUp2Go.com! Use Code: WNTR5

You  can get slick guides used to  center  pilot holes for  installing  door hinges.  Replace the right twist drill  bit in the appropriate sized one with a  left twist  drill  bit  and use it to  drill the  broken  bolt. The  bit  guide will  center the drill  bit  and prevent  you going off to the side and messing up the  hole and bolt,  and the left twist drill may extract the bolt as you drill.  If it doesn't,  you will  have a centered  hole in it  to  use a regular extractor on. Here is a link to the  set  I'm  talking about offered  on Amazon.  The set would be handy  for a  lot of projects that require a well  centered  drilled hole .

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Migiwata+7Pcs+HSS+Adjustable+Self-centering+Door+and+Cabinet+Hinge+Hole+Opening+Drill+Bit+Set+

Thanks @davefrombc!  I picked up a reverse drill bit set last night and got it done.  EASY fix.  Thanks for the great advice.

Any idea the size for the replacement bolt?

I  can't help  on the  replacement  bolt,  but if you take the threaded part  of the broken one  to  a place selling  metric bolts  you  can  match it up there. According to  a chart I found  a bolt with a 10 mm head is normally  6 mm diameter, and  has a 1 mm thread pitch.

• Like 1

I did just that.  It's actually a 6mmx8mm flange bolt.  Local Kawi dealer didn't have one in stock but I found a allen head 6mm bolt at Lowe's that worked.  I had to throw in a couple of split washers to take up the extra length but it's nice and snug now with no leaks.  Now that I know the actual part # I'm going to have the dealer order it next time they order parts.  Thanks for all the help folks!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By KDawgFPC
      I have a 2004  Kawasaki KLF300. I’m not sure What is the black/yellow, brown, and red wire wrapped together in the wire hornets of a klf300. I got it used and notice some wires not connected. They are located in the front area 

The reason why I am asking because I’m having issues with it firing up. I cleaned the carb put new spark plugs and gas. 
    • By coolcooch
      Hi everyone....I have 2006 750 Kawasaki Brute Force, my belt light came on, checked the belt, all's well there, I done this once before a long time ago, so long ago I can't remember how or what has to be done to get the light off. Yes I do have a tech manual, spent a lot of time looking for my answer to getting the light out, no luck. Too anyone that can help with this it would be much appreciated....Thanks
    • By Chris2018
      I have a 1996 Kawasaki Mojave KSF250. I have no manual on it and it has a no spark issue. If anyone could give me a hand with this or would possibly have a manual would appreciate it. 
    • By Ailll1
      I’m working on a Kawasaki Bayou KLF400 for a family member that doesn’t have spark. I’ve already replace the ignition switch and the stator which were defective. The stator had a melted connector and one of the phase had low resistance and low VAC output. 
      What I’ve figured out so far is that I’m not getting 12V to the ignition coil when I turn the key to the ON position. From what I understand, the 12V should come from the CDI. I’ve resistance tested both wires going from the CDI to the ignition coil (Green/white and black/yellow). They are fine. The only 12V coming from the ECU is on the yellow/red wire.
      I don’t have the wiring diagram for the 400 but I’m working with the one for the Bayou 300 which looks pretty similar except for the wire color between the CDI and ignition coil. On the 300 diagram, the yellow/red wire goes to the ignition coil, not the black/yellow… All the other wires color match except for this one. Not sure if that’s normal?
      Thanks!
    • By yugnats
      Hi all, I was gifted this Bayou but she's been sitting quite some time. It won't crank using the factory start button but when I jumper the starter solenoid it cranks but there is no spark. The key has power coming in on the white wire and when turned on supplies power to the brown wire coming out.

I guess I should start with testing the pickup? I heard I may be able to jumper the wires coming from the pickup with an LED bulb and it will flash? I noticed in the manual that it should have around 110 ohms resistance so I'll check that as well. One thing I noticed was that the starter circuit relay has power on one of the black wires with the key on- this doesn't seem normal as I'm assuming the black wires are grounds? I think one of them comes from the start switch, travels through the starter circuit relay and then grounds the starter relay?
      Mine is a 1991 so it has the 7 wire CDI (ignitor) and a 2 yellow wire alternator ( as opposed to the later 3 wire type ) with another 2 wires for the source coils (black & red wires ). The pickup wires are blue and black I do believe. Any help appreciated and yes I will test the pickup ASAP.

I'm trying to understand how the system works and I don't understand what the yellow / red wire from the kill switch does- I assume it gets grounded when the kill switch is "on" and therefore grounds the CDI so it can't activate the ignition coil? I noticed in the diagram that that yellow / red wire looks like it may be grounded by the ignition key switch when in the "off" position?
      I also don't have 12v power at any of the wires going into the CDI- doesn't the CDI need to be powered? I also read on this forum that someone used a GM HEI module in place of the factory CDI just to test it for spark- does anyone have any info on that?

I hope I'm not missing something simple!
      Here is a link to the diagram for my bike (which was posted by another user): https://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/topic/13742-1988-bayou-220-lost-spark/?tab=comments#comment-101193

Any help appreciated!