Quantcast

2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 wiring problem

res2fr

Hello All,
I am looking for any help or suggestion that I might be able to get on how to wire a '04 Kodiak 400 4x4 motor into a Coleman Outfitters / Hisun 400 4x4 Utv. This machine had the Kodiak motor installed and was running until someone stripped the wiring to install new harness. They destroyed the old harness so it of little use now. We have a new harness for the Utv and part of the wiring to the Kodiak CDI and Voltage regulator/rectifier is in place. For now I am just trying to find a good diagram of the wiring needed to Power up the motor. Any help with this part of our issue would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to help my son this machine running since he bought into this nightmare.
Thank you,

Let's start here. What wiring harnesses do you have and what's on them. Give in details.

Example: full harness uncut and the one on the machine has the stator wires cut and no ignition but the cdi and relays are different.
You need colors of wires and knowledge of which harnesses you have.

I used a kx motor with Yamaha electronics. On a Suzuki frame. It's possible.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Let's start here. What wiring harnesses do you have and what's on them. Give in details.

Example: full harness uncut and the one on the machine has the stator wires cut and no ignition but the cdi and relays are different.
You need colors of wires and knowledge of which harnesses you have.

I used a kx motor with Yamaha electronics. On a Suzuki frame. It's possible.

Pictures too.

Hello. I will try to give you more detail now and I'm waiting for some pics of the CDI, Voltage Reg/Rect, all that came with the Kodiak motor from my son.

What we have is a New complete wiring harness for the Utv, the old harness that someone pulled out and stripped it into a pile of loose wires and cut off many of the contacts.

The Kodaik looks as though they pulled the motor with the CDI and voltage reg/rect left wired up for the most part. The wring that is there for the motor includes the connectors for the connection between the motor and the Cdi box. I think we mostly need to understand how or where we need to supply 12vdc power to the motor.

This motor had been installed in this machine and had been running and usable until they had someone pull the old wiring to install the new harness. For some reason they stopped working on it.

I will review the new pics as soon as I get them and try to come back with more specific info on wires and colors and such.

I thank you for your time and interest in helping us.

Jim's utv-wires from motor1.jpg

CDI box for motor.jpg

Hello sorry but it has taken me a few days to get some info from my son. I have many new pics of the wiring on his machine and we have a major problem. We do have a Complete brand new harness for the Utv but when someone pulled the old harness they tore it apart. Many of the connector ends were cut off and are gone. What is on the machine now is just the Kodiak motor and the harness that came with it for it's CDI box and voltage Reg/Rect... The motor harness has some of the connectors still in place for the CDI and the reg/rect. but where the wires were cut, probably where they connected to the Utv and it's harness there is a problem. When they installed the motor they spliced it's harness wires to the machine using a single light blue wire and when they made the cuts to strip the old Utv harness out they cut on the light blue wire not the colored wires from either of the other harnesses. This left little if any trace as to what wire from motor was connected to which wire on the machine. I'm left with trying to figure out how to get the needed 12 volt to the motor so we can try to get it running as I'd really like to know that the motor runs ok before doing the rest of the wiring. 

I have to keep looking for the wiring diagrams for the Kodiak side that will help me understand it's power needs so I can do some testing. I thank you for your time and hope I might still be able to pick your brian for some help on this but I guess for now I have to plow ahead with figuring out color wires from the motor go to what colors on the machine and/or it's harness.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving day and hope to be able to contact you again in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Ajmboy changed the title to 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 wiring problem