Quantcast

tgb blade, 425cc no spark

Good afternoon, or morning. I have a three-year-old TGB blade 425Cc
that appeared to just die. I have had ongoing problems with the battery going flat the past year, replacement battery seem to resolve it, then it started again. Therefore I've been using a much larger battery and jump leads. At the weekend whilst using it to tow a trailer (it works on a smallholding). It stalled and refused to start thereafter, checking all the fuses, including the sneaky one. They appear all to be fine. No breaks or burns, lights or work starter motor turns, information panel seems to light up and give me clear information regarding fuel and other things. Removal of spark plug highlights there was no spark, testing of spark plug highlights that spark plug works.
I have looked for a manual as the general information given at the point of sale is woefully poor. I have looked online for guidance and have seen a variety of similar issues highlighting that a compilation of components need to be all replaced, whilst another person refutes this. I've checked fuel which it is three quarters full, no fuel leak or blockage appears to be in existence. Therefore with my basic knowledge, I have ground to a point where I don't know where to proceed. There does not appear to be a kill switch within the system, other than on the right hand brake lever, which needs to be engaged prior to pressing the ignition button. I am aware that the cable that is fitted into this section is adrift, and looking at it consists of two thin strips like a fork tongue, which can be inserted back into location. I am aware that this was damaged some months ago and has been adrift, so I am not sure if this is the causal factor, as it is unlikely, as until recently. Apart from jumpstarting, The wee Beastly thing was working.
Does anybody have any insight. I have checked it for broken wires, damp, and living in North Devon, England. We are prone to mist, which in reality is low. Cloud as we are 750 feet above sea level. WD-40 is part of my took kit  in this location.

Welcome to Quadcrazy graham! 

So my guess would be that you kept loosing battery power after a certain time and wound up changing the battery thinking it’s a bad battery.   The new battery was working great up until it died as well.  It was prob not charging in the first place.  So you continually jumped the bike to start it ? If so there is a good chance you killed the stator coil inside the engine.  Most stator coils fail from only a few things

1. Someone welded on the bike without disconnecting the stator coil. Not your case I’m sure.

2. Continually  jump starting with a larger battery like a car battery or a jumper pack.  

I’m thinking your rectifier is prob bad causing your battery not to properly charge.

The rectorfier is releitivley easy and cheap enough to replace.   The stator is a little more involved. 

You can test both of these items before you buy anything new but I would say my guess is you burnt the stator out with all the jump starting and that has killed the spark.    Bad stator equals no spark.  

• Thanks 1