Quantcast

2007 Honda Foreman 500ES won’t downshift

Shane76

• Ajmboy changed the title to 2007 Honda Foreman 500ES won’t downshift

Are you getting any codes on the dash? 

Unfortunately with these bikes there are quite  a few things it could be and most likely one or two in particular. 

First off is take all the plugs off and check for moisture.  Get some dialectric grease and apply it to the inside of each connection before you plug them all back In. 

Second thing and the most likely culprit is the angle sensor, it’s located at the rear lower section of the motor.   It has a plug going to it most likely grey. The wires on it are blue, yellow maybe brown as well and a black.   This sensor may be bad.  

Third may be the sensor on the carburetor if it’s carborated.  It’s called a throttle positioning sensor. And some times the screws loosen up and it moves. It’s located on the side of the carburetor and has a plug as well. Two screws hold it in place and you will find slots where the screws are to adjust it. But be sure you mark it before you move it so you can re set it where it was should it need to go back to that spot.  

There is the mechanism that changes the gears   It’s a small motor  sometimes the brushes act up in the motor. 

The battery is also a big factor as far as voltage goes. Make sure your battery is up to par. 

You should be able to find all of this info and the exact location on your bike in the manual

I would check the idle first- had a friend that has a recon es and his wouldnt shift out of reverse unless you turned it off- simply because the idle was too high and the clutch wasnt disengaging.  Turned the idle down, been working like a champ since

Also, when did it first start this?  Any event that might have caused it like taking it through water (maybe go into the shifter motor or something...)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By rgeiser
      View File 2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      2003 Polaris Ranger 400-500 service manual
      Submitter rgeiser Submitted 04/18/2024 Category Polaris UTV  
    • By N00bie
      From Arkansas. Just bought a 2012 Gator 850i RSX because I could not pass up the price. BUT it has an idle problem. So, to be honest, I joined just to get a service manual. I have a choice: 1)Buy a hard copy: ~$100; 2)Buy a CD ~$35.00; Get a direct download for free posting 10 times; or get a download for $29.00 (subscription). Haven't decided what to do yet.
    • By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By hardcastle
      My friends KQ 300 starts fine and runs, as soon as you put it in gear and try to accelerate its bucks and farts like crazy, not moving... I cleaned carb and it worked good for 1 day... now back to same problem.... could it be such as a bent valve????
    • By skittle021
      So I've got a Hisun 550 that I was doing some work on that required removing the CVT and it's housing. Upon attempting to reinstall the clutch, sheaves, etc, I found that the belt no longer fits - it's far too wide. None of the parts have been replaced, they're all OEM. Exactly the same parts as what I took off a few weeks ago.
      To be more specific, my belt is 1.25in wide, but the gap between the clutch and the primary sheave is only 7/8in wide. I'll include a few photos to explain.
      Has anyone ever experienced such a bizarre problem? Any help at all would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a month. I'm open to just about any suggestion.
      Photos: