Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Azjad

1987 Yamaha moto 4 225 cdi wiring

So here's my situation.i picked up a super clean 225 moto 4 but the cdi has been cut off.i have numerous different cdi units and just can't simply afford to buy anything currently.im sure I can make something work I'm just seeking a little advise or ideas or thoughts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.thank you

It’s not so simple to put any cdi on another bike. The same manufacturer and similar year maybe you stand a chance. Have you looked on eBay. I’ve seen a few for that bike from $70 to $170 used oem.   As far as the cut off plug we can help you figure that out but another cdi tying in would be a challenge. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Brent Mason
      I have worked about 4 weeks on my Griz600 and have burnt 2 CDIs up ! I added a wire harness and stator and It starts but runs erratically like spark timing is off ! So I would like to try another CDI but I don’t want to Pay an arm n leg ! Anybody have one ? Thanks 
    • By Brent Mason
      I have been trying to get my Griz600 running right for 3 weeks ! Grandsons used it and it quit running , no spark ! New stator etc and started but ran terrible ! Found a burnt capacitor on cdi . Installed used cdi and burnt it also but ran same as other cdi . Came to conclusion wire harness had short so stripped it and found some bad spots fixed and another cdi ran terrible again ! Bought another harness and same rough running ! Checked spark timing with light (put tdc mark on case and on pull start hub) and when it starts timing right on but will jump 25+° retard ! When timing is on tdc marks it has no power ! The stator is new but I am wondering if the pickup coil is triggering incorrectly ? Also had top end apart when I first started having trouble and although rings were good I installed new rings . Also new timing chain and check the valves , they were good also . It kind of seems to boil down to the last stator I installed new ? I have done trouble shooting on quite a few cars , trucks , dirt bikes and ATVs but this is frustrating me ! Just wondering if anyone has any ideas ? Carb was new last yr and I checked it ! I
      IMG_4379.MOV
    • By JacobSlabach
      Hey just picked up another scrambler 850 was told the tps was bad.  This atv has been beet to hell.  Wiring has been tinkered with the crankcase has been replaced recently and the motor rebuilt (can see horizontal scores thru spark plug hole where it’s just been honed out and rebuilt)
      my guess is it was ragged out till the motor blew a rod and rebuilt but the clown that did it couldn’t get it to run again and sold it.  When I bought it it would pulse and smoke black at idle and die with throttle.
      New tps installed and it won’t run period.  I went to celebrate it and I’m getting 5 volts on 2 of the 3 wires running to the tps.  Is this normal and if so how should I celebrate it?

• By Brent Mason
      IMG_4272.MOV Originally had my griz600 stop running and then wouldn’t start ! After testing all coils , valve lash , compression (115psi) and all tested ok I bought a used cdi . After cdi install it still wouldn’t start (no spark) ! So even though the stator , pulse/trigger and charge coils check within good range I decided to switch the stator etc ! It started but It is very unresponsive on throttle and acts like it is running in 2 Different spark timing ! With slight throttle it will take off good but instantly go into a very different running mode with no power like timing very retarded but it will switch back to running good for short period then bad again !  Since I replaced the stator and it started I then decided to install the cdi I replaced and it did the same thing ! Also I noticed the Used cdi I Took off had a capacitor that had swelled and extruded from the back of the cdi . I had always heard and I believed that when these CDIs go bad they machine will quit and will not run . Is that true ? I also checked the cam/valve timing and its ok ! Checked with timing light and it does fluctuate on idle ! I am thinking I have 2 bad CDIs . I also switched the trigger Coil wires and would not start then . Man , this thing ran good before and I am confused ! Video below may help !
      IMG_4272.MOV
    • By Brent Mason
      1998 Grizzly600 ! Slowly died then wouldn’t start ! All coils check good ohms ! Checked ac voltage from source coil get OL ! Is the source coil bad ?