Quantcast

2002 Yamaha big bear 400 atv won’t run

Marie Keene

I’m working on my dads 2002 Yamaha big bear 400 atv. He was having a hard time starting it for a while and then it quit running for good. It had no spark so u replaced spark plug and then cdi box. Didn’t help so tested stator which a part of it wasn’t working so replaced it. Nothing. I unplugged the rectifier cranked it and had a great spark. Got it in today cranked it and still won’t run but does still have spark. What’s going on? Any help is greatly appreciated 

it should fire if you spray a little starter fluid or carb cleaner in the air filter..  just be careful how much you load it up cause it can blow your head if you're not careful

if it still doesnt fire, I would change the spark plug again and check valve clearance, compression, timing and oil level

It doesn’t have spark again. It has been sitting for 2 years I recently replaced the kill run cluster so I’ll check that next. Plus I’m going to clean the carb. Btw I am not able to find how to rewire the stator my now ex messed with the wires that go into the connector and he can’t remember how it went. The wires going to it is solid red red/white and 2 white/greens. The ones coming from the new Caltric stator are all solid and are red light blue medium blue and dark blue. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Ajmboy
      What's the best kids atv out there? I've seen everything from the ones released by the major manufacturers to all those knock offs. Kawasaki has a KFX 50 that is pretty nice for under $1800...

• By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.
    • By Ajmboy
      Anyone purchase or check out Rockymtnatv lately? Well I was just browsing over there and they have a pretty cool section called Ten Dollars Or Less. Some interesting things to check out if you are in the market.

• By justent_88
      Hello, im looking for some input on this situation i have. My 94 Mojave has no spark, and i have no idea what it is. Ive replaced/tested the magneto, the pickup coil, cdi, the ignition coil. Even the key and Killswitch. I haven't tested the harness its self, but i have tried another harness and still nothing. The only thing i can think of is the fly wheel itself. I have found a lot of metal shavings in the fly wheel and have cleaned it the best I could. But nothing happened afterwards. I am truly stumped here and hoping some of yous could shed some knowledge/ideas that could help get this thing to fire. 
    • By Roofus
      I cant seem to find what this part is called. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I must be misinterpereting the parts catalog or something? I dont see it in the rear axle section. I think it may be in the rear brake assembly section? click link to view picture.

[removed broken image]