Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

RockOn

No Hot start and Oil Burnoff near front of motor - 01 Quadrunner 250

So I bought a 2001 Quad Runner 250 for my son/wife. Sorry I run a Grizzly 660.

I’ve rode it many times with no issue.

My son’s first time out, I could always hear him but feeling he ran it red line in first gear a lot.

So this is what it was doing during/end of the 2-3 hour ride:

- halfway though noticed smoke (oil) coming from front of the motor sort of under exhaust manifold. Once back at the truck, it was really noticeable. Definitely oil burning off. I’m thinking from the top end maybe.

So quick inspection:

- No leaks or seepage of oil that I could see

- I pulled the plug and it’s black but not wet

- No blue/white smoke in exhaust

- seems to still ride fine

- Engine still has plenty of oil

But now that I’m looking at it back at the house - it’s a hard/won’t start when hot. It starts right up cold no problem but once it stalls when hot, have to let it sit for 10-15 before it will start again.

It wasn’t idling before that trip so I jacked up the idle a bit as well but I think that’s a carb clean/adjustment but...

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The black plug could be two things. One is a need to adjust the carb maybe two rich.  Second is its fouled up from oil blow by if the rings are on the way out. Possibly from over reving. I would try a couple of things. First and foremost I would take a compression reading and see what you have. Should be well over 90 possibly to 110.  If not then there is a problem like rings or a seal.

Secondly is a slight carb adjustment on the air fuel screw.   

The last thing I would also do is ride the bike and wait until it gets that hard to start condition and have a new spark plug ready to go. Pop it in (don’t get burnt changing it ) and see if the bike fires right up.  If so then it’s most likely an oil foiled condition.  

As far as the smoking on the head when oil burns off if it’s leaking from the head it’s hard to spot because it burns right up.   But the over reving is not good at all and could have blew a seal or wore the hell out of the rings.   

• Like 1

Thanks a lot.

Compression test and new spark plug are easy checks for sure.

Carb adjustment, will do some research and look in to that.

Appreciate the input.

Would low compression just be the piston ring or could be the balance seal as well correct?

Either or.  My guess is the rings and if so then might as well throw a new piston in.   But do your research before you start tearing into it and ordering parts. Test and process of elimination.   Head gaskets etc.  a compression test will tell you a lot.  Also keep in mind that you can shut the gas off, take the wire off of the spark plug.   Spray the top half of the engine down with a soapy soliton and crank the engine.  You would see bubbles if something is pushing air out of the engine like a head gasket.    

You could also when doing a compression test take your first reading and if low put a little oil in the plug hole and test again. If the reading is higher then the rings are bad.

Roger that!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Admin
      View File 1985-90 Suzuki Quadrunner LT230 Service Manual
      1985-90 Suzuki Quadrunner LT230GE, LT-F230G, LT230S Service Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 06/29/2019 Category Suzuki ATV  
    • By Admin
      1985-90 Suzuki Quadrunner LT230GE, LT-F230G, LT230S Service Manual
    • By Admin
      View File 1985-86 Suzuki Quadrunner LT 250E Service Manual
      1985-86 Suzuki Quadrunner LT 250E Service Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 06/29/2019 Category Suzuki ATV  
    • By Admin
      1985-86 Suzuki Quadrunner LT 250E Service Manual
    • By AimlessMoto
      Hey guys, new here, but haven't found ANY answer to my specific problem on a Suzuki dedicated ATV forum, so here's to hoping!
      I acquired a 95' Quadrunner 250, 4x4, (LT4WD) for practically nothing with no spark. The PO had tossed in a used stator which didn't fix the problem... so I went all routes (though cheaply) to narrow down the initial problem of no spark. 
      Plug, coil, CDI (caltric) and stator w/pickup (caltric) were purchased and installed. And it RAN, but bogged horribly and would not rev past 1/4 throttle. 
      I checked fuel flow, vacuum lines, all the normal stuff, no issues. I decided to check the valves and cam... well, there was one problem. The cam was 1mm under the lowest spec in the manual. So, in-came a new cam, Stage 1 Hotcams... also threw in a new set of shindy valves, lapped them, replaced the valve seals, and the timing chain. 
      Back together again (w/stock airbox and new oiled filter). Now it idles even better, still boggs at 1/4 throttle, but will rev past it if you hold the throttle open for a second. Ahaha... success!
      So I was able to ride it above 1/4 throttle once I had momentum... could shift through the gears, all was good as long as I kept it over 1/2 throttle. Took a long enough ride to break in the cam properly at least so I won't have to worry about that. 
      Now, I start fiddling with the carb. It's clean as a whistle, stock, with stock jets (new replacement Mikuni jets). Same problem. 

I start thinking, maybe this is fuel related and the bike is having an issue transitioning from idle jet to main jet... so I LOWER the needle by raising the clip 1 spot. Now it revvs up in neutral with no bog, but it boggs about the same trying to ride it. So I move the needle down again with the clip on the top slot. Better, but still has a bit of bog at 1/4 throttle. 
      The last bit of advice I got was to ditch the CV carb... so I sprung for a brand new Mikuni VM30-83 round-slide. Bolted it up, blew into the vacuum tube to fill it with fuel (no vacuum port on this one) and she fired right up... but there is still a bit of bog, it's just masked by the fact that I'm not waiting for the vacuum diaphragm to open. 

So I feel like each little step brings me closer, but not perfect. I'm now wondering if this is still in-fact a carb tuning issue (I have some jets I can fiddle with and maybe lean-out the idle jet a little.) OR if the cheap-a** Caltric Stator/Pickup is what's causing these issues. 

I have a 95' KingQuad with 400 miles on it... like new.. runs like a top... I've tried both the stock QR and the Caltric CDI boxes on it, and it revvs up and runs like a champ. 

The only unknowns between the two systems are the carb, and the stator/pickup. My next step in troubleshooting is to rip apart the King Quad and test it's CDI on the Quadrunner... but considering there is no change to how it runs I doubt it will lead to a solution. 

HOWEVER... I tried the stock CDI just recently after running the Caltric this whole time, and the bike runs like garbage. Hardly idles, and won't rev up at all. So, that is my one smoking gun telling me that it's either the pickup coil or the stator itself. 

Has anyone had a problem even CLOSE to this? I can't image the carb would be causing this many issues, especially going to 2 different ones, both with stock jetting to OEM, and exhibiting the identical symptoms... the only change is when different CDI's are plugged in, or when the needle valve leans out the mixture. 
      Also, I checked the piston, rings and bore when I had it apart and they're like-new... no scoring, rings are loose, cylinder is still round and has honing marks still int he bore. Stock piston, stock bore size and it has 160psi compression. Battery is brand new, and I've tried 3 different R/R's, none of which change any symptoms, but slightly vary the charging voltage by .2-.5 of a volt depending on which unit. Also tried a new coil which changed nothing. 
      ANY help would be appreciated. Too much invested to not get it running right.