Quantcast

Timberwolf 250 starting issue

Hi all. I have a timberwolf 250 2nd that will not start.. I thought it was out of time bc the guy I got it from said it just quit on him. The tensioner had a nut welded to it and it was like2 teeth off. I installed new tensioner and chain and it still will not start. It has fire and it will not hit off brake cleaner. It has compression. Haven't put a gauge but I'm sure it will crank and run with what it has. I double checked my work and it's still in time. Spot on. Both valves move. I'm about to put a feeler gauge on them and I'll cone back but other than that any ideas?

Hey JD, welcome to Quadcrazy. I’m sure you double checked your work and I’m sure it all looks right.   But could it be possbale that your are 180 deg out on the timing ? The marks are funny and there are a few different marks on the flywheel. It’s super important to have the proper timing mark and not just a line on the flywheel.  It should be a “T” on the flywheel as a TDC reference point. 

Have you looked at the piston and valves to check for damage ? Maybe a blown or jumped chain caused damage.

Have you tried staring fluid and sure the  carb is clean and delivering fuel ?  

Reason im asking is it’s pretty simple if what you say is accurate by having spark, fuel and compression there should be no issues as far as starting.  (Other then timing) 

Now having said all that the next step would be the stator and pulse aka trigger coil to make sure it’s sending  spark at the right time to the spark plug. 

You know what.. I think it is 180 out of time lol. I was thinking I was checking it on compression stroke but I bet it was on the power stroke bc now that you say something, I did have to turn it a little too far after it blew out air.. And I didn't check to make sure I was at tdc when I put it in time. But if the mark is right on the crank the piston is up.. Hmm. Thevalves weren't in the right position then.. I had it set right before I started taking it apart but I was turning it without thinking during their process. Thanks I'll check it out.

I’ve never used a timing light on a quad. Once the marks are set the timing should be set and locked. Unless there is a slacked chain maybe but that’s about it. The tdc on the compression stroke and the “T” mark on the flywheel are all good then maybe take a look at the trigger/pulse coil. Maybe somethings going on there. I also used a spark tester on the bike to see how the spark fires during engine rotation.  But possibly the trigger coil having an issue.  

Was the head taken off the bike ? What’s the history from the person you got is from.

The “it just quit on him” doesn’t sound right. Maybe he took it apart? 

Does it look like the head was taken off? New gaskets or any fresh marks like was taken apart other then the chain tensioner ?

No it hasn't been taken apart. He did nothing to it. He told me it was getting spark and wouldn't hit off starting fluid.  He said he was just riding across a field and it died on him. That does sound like timing issue to me. I verified all the things he said and then I checked timing and it was off twoteeth and the tensioner was no good so I ordered them. Installed then And it's doing sane thing. I'm gonna find a way to see if it's sparking on time. 

• 9 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Mhatayas
      My uncle bought a Baja 250, 2006. Knew there was no spark since the get go. He don't know anything about quads so is getting me to help him try to get it running...

battery is bad so I connected battery charger to it to crank it over , cranks over well , but no spark .... 
      Lights and everything work fine , but with each crank over using the e start switch , the display reads 999 888 777 666 ... Right down to 000 and repeats itself . 

He managed to get a parts bike , I changed over the CDI and the coil and the stator from the parts bike and there was another black box by the voltage regulator I changed over ... I used my multimeter to confirm as much as I could works , it's hard without knowing which wires are which , and I cannot find any diagrams online for this bike ? 

Do you think it could be the Killswitch? There's so many wires coming from there I don't know where to start . Also I should mention it appears the fan on the front of the bike has been taken off (the wires have been cut too ) 

If this bike sparked it would run . The previous owner said he parked it one day and it just wouldn't start after.
    • By McG75
      Hello I’m new here and was wondering is anyone knew of good replacement part numbers for front struts and rear shocks for this atv? I think I’ve found a new rear shock, that looks like the original but there is no dimensions or anything and was wondering if there are any afterMarket new front struts available. I know it’s a long shot but any help would be appreciated. 
    • By McG75
      1996 4x4 Timberwolf rearend width. Can someone with some knowledge of these machines answer this question for me please. Are all 4x4 timberwolves this narrow in the rearend? These tires are so close the right one actually rubs the muffler.  Thinking about seeing if there are any spacers out there for it. I need at least an inch more clearance. 

• By Mhatayas
      What should I do about this , bad oil leak where the filter cover bolts on . Can I use some gasket maker 

• By Uglyside38
      I have a 1988 Quadrunner 250 2wd. My brother in law sold it to my son for $20...had been sitting outside for several years. Got it home and had it running in about 30 mins. Ran it a bit and then went to looking at the carb as it was having trouble idling. Was getting it pretty close, then started losing spark...Also, it wouldn't start up every time...only about 1 in 5 tries. Anyway...now, it has what I can only describe as "intermittent" spark. I can get 1 light spark right when the start button is pressed and sometimes one when it's released...but none while cranking. 🤷‍♂️

I have replaced the spark plug, ignition coil/wire, and traced wires best I can. I noticed a couple frayed wires at the pickup coil where it enters the case. So, now I have the cover off, stator and pickup coil out and trying to test the coil. I do have about 114 ohms resistance for pickup best I can tell. And I can read minute voltage when I drag a magnet across it. Could it still be bad? Can a bad ignition switch/button cause this? (I did have the switch off to oil the choke cable)...pulling rope makes no difference though...any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!! It's the intermittent part that's throwing me off!