Quantcast

2011 Crown Vic here with 305k miles, and today my engine light comes on. Scan at the local Advanced comes up with 4 codes on the cat converter. Guy says I need to get something called Cataclean and run it through the gas tank to correct the problem.

Is it worth doing this...will it make the engine run better or get better gas mileage?

Should I use Cataclean or some other product to get this done?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to get back. The check engine light went off but it came back on yesterday so I got the codes read again. Guy's machine read 4 codes but said they were all the same code...P0430.

I'm game for the lacquer thinner option I've been hearing about. I see low voc lacquer thinner for sale. Wonder if it matters which version you use?

Did the light come off on its own or was it cleared? That code can be a bad converter but can also be some other things:

https://www.autocodes.com/p0430_ford.html

Possible causes Faulty Three-way Catalyst Converter Bank 2 Exhaust Tube Intake Air Leaks Faulty Oxygen (O2) Sensor Faulty Fuel injector(s) Leaking Fuel Injector (s) Faulty Spark plugs Improper Ignition Timing Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM) Dirty Air Filter

Tech notes As the code description implies the P0430 code means that the vehicle's control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working properly (is not as efficient as the factory is expecting). Replacing the oxygen (O2) sensors may sometimes fix the code, but in most cases the catalytic convert needs to be replaced to fix the problem. If the P0430 code is combined with other codes, try fixing the other codes first. 

Thanks EC.  Great info in that video there.

The check engine light went off (dark) on it's own after being on for only a couple days.  After staying off for maybe another 2-3 days it came back on again.

Have advice it might be my intake manifold leaking, but it was replaced new w/ OEM last year so that's probably not it.

New plugs as well.

I'll go ahead and replace the air filter just to make sure.

Also, the engine takes about a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so.  I don't see any drips in the driveway but I don't see any smoke from the exhaust either.  Not sure where the oil is going.  I was assuming it was leaking out only when it's being driven.  Been told if it's burning oil that could be causing this code as well.