Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Steve Westby

Yamaha Timberwolf Brakes Freezing Up

i have an issue with my brakes.it seems every time i ride through water or mud and then the brakes began to freeze up.I was wondering if anyone has total change the brake system from drum to disk or a different drum set up?

If they are drum brakes I would check the weep holes on the bottom of the drum assembly. If they get clogged up then the water or mud gets stuck inside the drum. 

Topic re-titled with more info and moved to Yamaha ATV forum. 😎

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Squirrel
      Several months ago, I finally got around to fixing the bayou. Rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel selector switch, hoses and fuel filter, and she ran great. Only had 2 minor issues since then where, at higher speeds, it acted like it was choking out when I let off the throttle.
      Lately I've noticed if I let it go for more than a week, it almost drains the battery dead trying to start. I initially thought battery, but after inspecting I found very little if not any fuel flow through the line until it starts and runs.
      I'm a little baffled and don't have much time to mess with it as most my free time right now is spent on getting my rv up and ready for hunting season in the next 3 weeks. So any help on quick diagnosis checks would be helpful. Otherwise I'll just keep starting it every 3-4 days to keep things primed until I'm done hunting.

Oh, and another question on a different topic. Does anybody know what the mounting brackets on the front rack are for? I'm referring to the 2 angled metal tabs with threaded holes that are located on the left, near your knee when sitting on the quad?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• By Mudrecon
      with the right growing environment my 95 KingQuad blossomed into this fine looking 2010 KingQuad 500 AXI. (really!) Patience pays off. Now to grow a set of tracks ;)

• By northern
      Just picked this up at a yard sale, runs and drives..color coded wires for battery were backwards, Meaning a red wire was used for negative and a black for positive....

Upon bringing it home decided to boost the battery and walked away giving it a small charge prior to starting it..came back to find battery slightly smoking and my Green light for power (neutral) was no longer lit up...Still starts when i pull start it with key on.
      Turn key on and no starter spin up, no lights
      Id like to get my Electric start working, What could be the problem, Where does one start.
    • By Tiffany Rowland
      I just got a 2007 Honda trx400ex and I'm looking for places to ride. Is there any website that gives a list of areas where atvs are allowed?
    • By Dimelol
      I have a 2003 Kodiak 450 that i purchased a while back with around 300 hours on it. It has never ran right from the beginning. Initially i thought it was just a carburetor issue because it was all clogged up from sitting for months. It has been cleaned, rebuilt, and taken off probably about 10 times troubleshooting this problem. I have quadruple checked everything including float height ect and it is set correctly, the jets are also brand new, needle and seat have been pressure tested as well. So after all of that I am convinced that the carburetor is not the culprit. I have an issue where the idle is very choppy, almost as if it is misfiring with a rich condition on top of that. I can use a brand new plug and run the machine for just a few minutes and it will be a dry and and coated in black carbon build up. The exhaust also has a strong smell at idle. I had trouble restarting it when hot for a while, but i adjusted the valves and it seemed to solve that issue. They were both way out of tolerance (tight). The weird thing is, outside of idle it seems to run pretty well. 
      So with all that being said I have ruled out the carb/valves/compression and moved on to the ignition and this is where i have a few questions about factory specifications. I guess the main question I have is, how strict are these tolerances? And could them being off by this amount cause the issue I am having? Do all three of these parts really need to be replaced? I would like to know before I spend the money on these new parts, and it not fix my problem. Below I will list what the specs were in the service manual along with the reading i got.  This is my first experience testing ignition components. I just found it odd that all 3 are out of spec according to the service manual.
      Spark plug cap resistance: 10 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: 8.90 kΩ
      Primary coil resistance: 0.18 ~ 0.28 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: Fluctuated between 0.4 - 0.5 Ω
      Secondary coil resistance: 6.32 ~ 9.48 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within the specified range.
      Pickup coil resistance: 459 ~ 561 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within specified range.
      Rotor rotation direction sensing coil resistance: 0.085 ~ 0.105 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F) 
      My reading was 0.3 Ω
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Todd Barrett
      Hi all 
      I'm finding it rather difficult to find 10"x6" front rims. My question is will 12"x7" fit and will there be enough clarence when on full lock? 
    • By northern
      Just picked this up at a yard sale, runs and drives..color coded wires for battery were backwards, Meaning a red wire was used for negative and a black for positive....

Upon bringing it home decided to boost the battery and walked away giving it a small charge prior to starting it..came back to find battery slightly smoking and my Green light for power (neutral) was no longer lit up...Still starts when i pull start it with key on.
      Turn key on and no starter spin up, no lights
      Id like to get my Electric start working, What could be the problem, Where does one start.
    • By Zacharia Maisonneuve
      i have a 1993 timberwolf yamaha and the compression is good and lights work but for some reason the electricity is not going to the spark plug(s)! i got a friend to check it out and they said its no use but im not giving up! please help with this!
    • By Jackson Krueger
      I just rebuilt a Yamaha Timberwolf and after getting it back together there are 5 Philips bolts left over with a round head they are about an inch long and they are cleaner as if they go in the motor somewhere. Looked all over already and can’t find where they go only thing have yet to check is the stator as I don’t remember taking the bolts out of it any help would be appreciated greatly, thanks.  
    • By stymy68
      So I'm trying to figure out the year of one of my Timberwolf's. I have 4.
      2 are definitely 1993's, as I can read the serial number on those.
      1 has to be close to a 93, as the back rack and lug width (156) are the same as the 93's.
      The last one is killing me. Someone painted over the serial number.
      Listed are the differences
      Back rack is different. It goes through the plastics and will pivot on the rear attachment. Doesn't have the handles out the side, either.
      Doesn't have the loops coming out of front plastics.
      Foot rests are different.
      Lug pattern is 110.
      Everything I've read, says that the Timberwolf was produced from 92-98 and then changed name to Bear Tracker. Most parts are interchangeable through those years. Only change I found, was front brakes were upgraded to disk in 2001.