Quantcast

Convert the thumb throttle to m/c type twist grip

I have a 2002 Suzuki LT-F500F, and am a first time atv  owner. I rode two wheel bikes for many years, and now, two months in to being a new at owner, am just not enamored with the thumb throttle, and I’m wondering if anyone has tried a conversion to a typical twist grip throttle as found on all motorcycles? If so, how do you like it?

Here are my two cents... on my Yahama Raptor 700R, when I bought it it has the twist throttle and I changed it to thumb very quickly.  For me if I opened the throttle it would push me back slightly in the seat which would in turn open the throttle even more... that would amplify the more I opened the throttle but this quad is also a 700cc.

With thumb in the same situation (pushed back in the seat) it would let up on the throttle, safer for me at least.  At the same token my thumb does get tired quickly and a twist throttle is more comfortable, both have their pluses and minuses.

Daniel

• 5 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 10:40 PM, Roy Anderson said:

......... I’m wondering if anyone has tried a conversion to a typical twist grip throttle as found on all motorcycles? If so, how do you like it?

Hey, Hey, Hey Frosty Guy .... to answer your question. I put a twist throttle on my ATV's WAY back. Back when I had a Suzuki Quad Sport & I loved it. I've never ridden motorcycles either. I've ridden all over with this throttle, Dunes, Snow, Mountains, Down in the Swell in Utah & in Moab. If you're use to a motorcycle twist, then IMHO ... No problem. Go For It !!!

Anyway, I now have on my 2014 Can-Am Outlander 1000. BUT, it's not your typical motorcycle type twist throttle. It's a "Dual Gasser". Terrycable  has them ... as does Moose Racing ... and DAMN, they've really gone up in price since I bought mine. However, like I wrote, I love mine !!  :yes:

http://www.terrycable.com/Dual-Gasser-Throttle-Assembly_p_23.html

https://www.mooseracing.com/products/546999/productGroup/381597

Edited by Gunny

• 1 year later...

going to a twist throttle is the single most dangerous thing you can do on a 4wh. unlike a dirt bike (and i've ridden both a lot) you need balance. having your hand on a twist throttle makes using it too dangerous to ride. standing up or sitting down and shifting your weight will increase the likelihood the 4wh will pull you back all the while your and is tightly gripping the twist throttle. when i went from db to 4wh i had the same thumb problem. except mine was worst because i lost part of my thumb in a log splitting machine (just the end). so i had the bright idea to go to the twist throttle. dumbest and most dangerous thing ever could do. couldn't control the bike. had to quit within a couple of hours. luckily close to the trailer. never met or saw anyone successfully using the twist on 4wh. please be careful and think it through.

8 hours ago, cgstew94 said:

going to a twist throttle is the single most dangerous thing you can do on a 4wh. unlike a dirt bike (and i've ridden both a lot) you need balance. having your hand on a twist throttle makes using it too dangerous to ride. standing up or sitting down and shifting your weight will increase the likelihood the 4wh will pull you back all the while your and is tightly gripping the twist throttle. when i went from db to 4wh i had the same thumb problem. except mine was worst because i lost part of my thumb in a log splitting machine (just the end). so i had the bright idea to go to the twist throttle. dumbest and most dangerous thing ever could do. couldn't control the bike. had to quit within a couple of hours. luckily close to the trailer. never met or saw anyone successfully using the twist on 4wh. please be careful and think it through.

I totally disagree ... and you didn't need balance on a dirt bike? ... And I've seen guys shift their weight & lose it with a thumb throttle, so, it all depends on where your head is. I will say thou, there was a learning curve to riding an ATV with the twist throttle. I didn't just put one on & start ripping around. I had to "Practice & Learn" ... but if I can do it, anyone who wants a twist throttle can do it.

I've had a twist throttle on my ATV's going on 35 yrs or more, starting with a Suzuki Quad Sport, to the Quad Sport after I slipped in a CR250 Honda motor into the frame, to a Banshee, a Grizzly, a Can-Am 800 & now a Can-Am 1000. Ridden all kinds of terrain from Moab, to mountains, over down logs, over big boulders, to desert, to snow. I love a twist throttle & would never go back to a thumb throttle.

Now, having said that, I like a "Certain" type of twist throttle. The Dual-Gasser type that I mention in an above post.

One reason you don't see a twist throttle on a snowmobile is because of ice. If snow gets down into the twist part of the throttle or if the snow melts & some of the liquid goes down into the cable itself & it freezes, you could have some problems. That's much likely to happen with a thumb throttle. And I put gauntlets over my handlebars in the winter plus have heated grips. So far, after 11 yrs of snow riding with tracks, I've never had my twist throttle freeze up.

Your weight positioning is different and for the life of me I cannot ride with a twist throttle on an ATV. It was something people did back in the day because they thought it was cool or because "my thumb gets sore". I can ride the sh** outta my dirt bikes and motorcycles with a twist throttle. I can ride the sh** outta my atv's and atc's with a thumb throttle. Putting a twist on an atv (rode a Yamaha Tri-Z with a twist a week ago as a matter of fact) feels like suicide. Maybe ok on the slower stuff, but on the Tri-Z you just can't get your weight right with balancing your throttle hand. 

• Like 1